Alaska Chicken Lover's Soup for the Cold!!

I have expens I use...(puppy pens) I just keep an eye on them that they don't get too much grass.....that and predators..
smile.png
But yea, they LOVE getting out onto the ground. All of mine
are rotated out if the weather is nice.

Aimee you'll be happy to know that the 2 banty BLRW are happily hiding from the others... UP on the roost!! I have let them out for about 5 minutes each day under supervision and as long as they weren't being viciously attacked I let the chasing and pecking go on. No lost feathers and no blood, so the visits were successful. Today I let them out and stepped out of the coop and watched and they were chased and pecked a LITTLE but not as much as before. So I left for about 30 minutes and when I went back they were fluffily perched way up top while the others ignored them.
smile.png

To further distract the older birds, I placed six of my 5 week old roos in the dog kennel and two more in another bird cage on top. No reason to not start getting them ready to join the flock too!!

Quote:
Yes several people do, and I plan to (the meat anyway, wouldn't do entrails probably)... Just so its fairly fresh, and not going bad.....

I am planning on feeding it as a supplement to a 14% protein feed but wondering if it might make the meat taste fishy. I am going to feed it from week 4-10, then week 10-11 feed chicken feed. week 12 feed cracked corn, then butcher. The scraps I have are boiled fish bellies and fins. no guts.

Thanks!

Quote:
Yes several people do, and I plan to (the meat anyway, wouldn't do entrails probably)... Just so its fairly fresh, and not going bad.....

I am planning on feeding it as a supplement to a 14% protein feed but wondering if it might make the meat taste fishy. I am going to feed it from week 4-10, then week 10-11 feed chicken feed. week 12 feed cracked corn, then butcher. The scraps I have are boiled fish bellies and fins. no guts.

Thanks!

I have heard people say the meat can taste fishy. Even the guy at Budget feed told me he wouldn't feed their feed to meat birds because of that possibility. I don't think it would stay in their systems if you stopped before processing.

Last edited:
Quote:

Thanks!

I have heard people say the meat can taste fishy. Even the guy at Budget feed told me he wouldn't feed their feed to meat birds because of that possibility. I don't think it would stay in their systems if you stopped before processing.

???

Quote:

Thanks!

Well he puts fish meal in his grower layer and if THAT doesn't make them fishy fresh won't. That stuff smells a little fishy to me, and I use it.

Back
Top Bottom