Alaska Chicken Lover's Soup for the Cold!!

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Deb... I feed sprouted barley, mixed with other things, to my layer flock regularly. Here a 50# sack is ~$11 and is enough for 4 days. Otherwise, I'd be feeding a 50# sack of layer pellets every day. Cracked corn, beet pulp, Soy meal, BOSS get added. They love it. And if they miss some, it doesn't go bad like the pellets do. Not that they miss any.
big_smile.png
I supplement from time to time with the Blue Moon Dairy Ration, and they love it, too.

Tori, what is the best way to sprout barley? I have had some success in a bucket but not as good as I'd like....
And what are GMO's?​

Last edited:
Quote:
Can't wait for you to get here. If you need help getting things arranged, just let us know!

i surely will im to excited lol cant wait to be sitting on a front porch with snow surrounding me with a big bowl full of chicken noodle soup.

Quote:
Can't wait for you to get here. If you need help getting things arranged, just let us know!

i surely will im to excited lol cant wait to be sitting on a front porch with snow surrounding me with a big bowl full of chicken noodle soup.

lol.png
There will be very few times you'll actually want to sit on the porch... it's too cold!

Donna,
I take a 5 gal bucket and fill it ~2/3 full of whole barley. I add just enough water to almost cover it all. Then each day I tip the barley into an empty bucket to rotate the wet bottom barley to the top of the bucket. Extra moisture then just follows gravity and goes down into the drier barley. I have 4 buckets lined up. When I transfer barley, I just go down the line. When I start seeing sprouts, I will split the bucket in half, and mix in the other stuff before feeding to the chickens. One 5 gallon bucket is a day's worth of feed for my girls. I haven't seen any problems feeding AK Mill & Feed feeds to my birds, genetically modified or not..

That dairy ration looks good...where do you get it?

Okay, I just pulled the Block out of the oven...it smells nutty! I just put together some things I had on hand, so there's no waste from the kitchen. I could get used to this!

A cup of cooked rice
wild birdseed
leftover oatmeal with raisins, dates and walnuts
some unsalted peanuts
4 dried prunes, chopped
about a tablespoon of goldfish flakes
quarter cup of Nutro dogfood, put in a baggie and smashed with a hammer
Corn fritters
2 eggs

Mixed it all up with a fork, and pressed into a greased 8x8 glass pan
baked at 250 for an hour and a half

Not sure if it's hard enough, but it's still cooling in the pan...I'll turn it out onto a plate...

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Quote:

lol.png
There will be very few times you'll actually want to sit on the porch... it's too cold!

Donna,
I take a 5 gal bucket and fill it ~2/3 full of whole barley. I add just enough water to almost cover it all. Then each day I tip the barley into an empty bucket to rotate the wet bottom barley to the top of the bucket. Extra moisture then just follows gravity and goes down into the drier barley. I have 4 buckets lined up. When I transfer barley, I just go down the line. When I start seeing sprouts, I will split the bucket in half, and mix in the other stuff before feeding to the chickens. One 5 gallon bucket is a day's worth of feed for my girls. I haven't seen any problems feeding AK Mill & Feed feeds to my birds, genetically modified or not..​

Okay, that's a much better system than mine. How long before the sprouts begin to show? I figure 4-5 days for when I tried it here but my method was pretty crude....

Back
Top Bottom