Alaska Chicken Lover's Soup for the Cold!!

Well I only have enough to sell occasioanally, but right now I have 4 dozen, so will be calling a couple people...lol Sam and I are not HUGE egg eaters, but you see this is all Donna's fault initially. After that, I blame you guys. I started with SIX chickens... wanted eggs.... soooooooooo............... read my siggy line...
gig.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm still working on building my own MPU that we would rent out. Under current laws it would only need to be inspected if we planned on butchering more than 10000 birds per year, purchased birds from others for butchering than resale, or plan on selling butchered birds to a supermarket.

Howdy peeps!!

We have had a problem with ravens here stealing ALL our eggs, so Ken and the kids built a door with a cut out in it for the birds to get in and out of the hen house and installed some really cool nesting boxes and roosts. My 4 runner ducks sat outside the cut out, talking to each other: "Hey, go check it out", "Nope, I aint goin in there, you go", "I am not going in that thing alone, someone come with me" and this went on for about 30 minutes with them poking their heads in and out. Then one went in for about 5 seconds and came flying back out hollering "It is too freakin dark in there and there are CHICKENS in that thing!"

It was too funny to watch.

Quote:
I'm still working on building my own MPU that we would rent out. Under current laws it would only need to be inspected if we planned on butchering more than 10000 birds per year, purchased birds from others for butchering than resale, or plan on selling butchered birds to a supermarket.

Good info!
We sold 16pasture raised meat birds this summer, for $20 each. We did it as a "share". They paid 50% down, we raised them, and then they came, paid the other 50% and then assisted in butchering. One of the two families has already told us they want to do it agian next year.
Cut our costs drastically this summer.

Quote:
We attend a house church, and the home we meet at has lots of chickens and ducks.
The ducks refuse to lay in the barn too.
Every egg is nabbed up by the ravens as soon as its laid.
Weird how they are so different from chickens
hmm.png

Has anyone ever tried to put peepers on a bird by yourself??
th.gif
barnie.gif
Holy crap that was entirely NOT EASY!! After she whacked it off her face the 3rd time, and another chicken came and snatched it and ran off with it
roll.png
I finally decided I just wasn't putting them on tight enough. So, I think it's on now. She had no troubles at all walking up the ramp indignantly and roosting. And just as I was walking in she had the nerve to peck a feather right off Endeavor... so I KNOW she's one of the culprits!

Quote:
Peepers....must look that up....
Sounds like they might need more protien in their diet.
I had to ramp ours up. No feather picking, but egg production had gone down to nothing.
Within a week it had tripled.

Quote:
Supermarket or restaurant, correct? It's the restaurant and small grocer market I'd like to reach. Have you looked into what is involved in having it inspected? I am not exactly clear on that point.

What if you sell them direct to the customer at, say, a farmer's market?

Quote:
LMAO!! I think someone else posted that same thing!! Must google Pinless Peepers!!
gig.gif

We changed feed and having been giving BOSS and leftover meat scraps, and we now have less birds in each coop, but the WCBP is still getting picked and I think it's just one or two birds.

Back
Top Bottom