Alaska Chicken Lover's Soup for the Cold!!

Quote:
Supermarket or restaurant, correct? It's the restaurant and small grocer market I'd like to reach. Have you looked into what is involved in having it inspected? I am not exactly clear on that point.

What if you sell them direct to the customer at, say, a farmer's market?

My understanding is under state regs restaurants are ok, supermarkets are not. Farmer markets and folks comming directly to you are all so ok. I haven't looked up the laws since earlier this spring so things may have changed a bit. But as long as you don't cross state lines with processed birds you get a lot of leeway. Google legal issues for small scale poultry processors.

They are hard to do by yourself... I should have warned you. You have to take a screwdriver to pry the pins out, kind of loosen them, then pinch them REALLY hard to get the pins to pop into the nostrils.

I think I got them from Cutlers, but I'd have to look it up. I started with a bag of 100 of them, and a couple got broken, so there's about 90+ left, if anyone wants them. I got them for my pheasants, but I'm only keeping a pair for my own enjoyment so I won't need them.
sad.png

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

They are hard to do by yourself... I should have warned you. You have to take a screwdriver to pry the pins out, kind of loosen them, then pinch them REALLY hard to get the pins to pop into the nostrils.

I think I got them from Cutlers, but I'd have to look it up. I started with a bag of 100 of them, and a couple got broken, so there's about 90+ left, if anyone wants them. I got them for my pheasants, but I'm only keeping a pair for my own enjoyment so I won't need them.
sad.png

Actually, in looking at some of the other peepers out there, these seem to be the ones that would be easiest to install with one person. Sam is useless with things like this, he thinks he's gonna hurt or break the critter.... so if I install these on 5 of my birds and I'm still getting pecking I'd like to buy some more from you.​

Quote:
Actually, in looking at some of the other peepers out there, these seem to be the ones that would be easiest to install with one person. Sam is useless with things like this, he thinks he's gonna hurt or break the critter.... so if I install these on 5 of my birds and I'm still getting pecking I'd like to buy some more from you.

You do have to be careful to line up the pins just right before squeezing, and make sure they're in securely. I've had pheasants catch them on the wire and rip them out. I accidentally punched one through the nostril, which I felt horrible about. It's easier if one person holds the bird so you have a free hand to hold their head still. I hope they work for you!

I hope they do too, tired of tailless and no top hats on my roos! lol

I was careful, tho that little shaking their heads at 100 mph is rather hard to stop sometimes...lol

I wrapped her in a towel and placed her on my lap and held her body with my arm, and her head with the same hand. As soon as I really figured out how to do it, then we finally got it done...

Back
Top Bottom