Alaska Chicken Lover's Soup for the Cold!!

Now, we hatched chicks in Feb. this year. Set up a pen in our heated crawlspace.
All I can say is, we kept them warm, but YUCK!

How do you all deal with hatching in winter? Without raising electricity costs.

Thanks everyone
smile.png
The BCM seems to be ok still this morning, except for being lonely.

Pandora, that is GReAT!!

Paula, mine are in the house with me. The only extra electricity is a 40W bulb for the brooder box and the bator itself.

Quote:
That's what I was wondering. I had mine indoors for less than a month and I could not stand it! My spring chicks are going into an insulated brooder outside with heat lamps.

Hmm.....doens't bother me! lol We have always had dust anyways with 2 people and 2 dogs in a small space, no matter which cabin. The smell... I just clean it out when I start to smell it... and the noise hasn't bothered either of us, except now. Tundra is just SOOOOOOOO lonely in there
sad.png

I thought I had it covered enough that he couldn't get out, as the water bottle comes over the top of the bin, so all but about 3" is covered. I just went over and he's sitting on the water bottle looking at Yukon... at least now I know Yukon IS ok with chicks
roll.png

So, I rearranged and covered it all and he's SCREAMING for his hatchmate
sad.png

Quote:
Maybe you can give him a fuzzy toy or duster to cuddle with, and a little mirror would help tons.

I can't stand the dust and smell.
I don't mind the first two weeks or so, but after that...
I do not have a setup outside for chicks in winter yet.

So, a couple of weeks ago, I recieved word that I have a 3rd cousin in Anchorage, that is moving to Fairbanks, and she wants to meet us.

It is entirely possible that with moose hunting and nephew/niece sitting, that I totally forgot about her.

The kiddos went home yesterday, and last night, I got an emial from her, that she is heading up midafternoon TODAY!!

Family I have never met coming over, house is a wreck from the last two weeks, and a huge moose we are trying to deal with.
Plus one of the neighbors was taken by ambulence yesterday, so I am cooking a meal for the wife.
I have been busing my backside since 6:30 this morning, stopping for a break now and then.
barnie.gif

Now I need to take a shower, and get properly dressed so I do not smell, and at least look presentable when she gets here.
And I still have loads of laundry and dishes to do
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom