Alaska Chicken Lover's Soup for the Cold!!

Quote:
if you dont mind me asking, do you guys buy the wood shavings or do they give em away to get rid of them?

They give them away. Go to any milling, log home building place, and you can load up on wood shavings.

There are now 4 Columbian Rock chicks in the incubator and 4 eggs, they were supposed to hatch yesterday.

so in a couple of hours I will be removing the hatchlings to a warm brooder (taking pictures also) and allowing the eggs another day or two in the incubator.

Quote:
clap.gif
jumpy.gif

Quote:
if you dont mind me asking, do you guys buy the wood shavings or do they give em away to get rid of them?

They give them away. Go to any milling, log home building place, and you can load up on wood shavings.

Ok cool, I was thinking about using wood shavings instead of Hay but wasnt sure where to go for em without having to pay an arm and a leg lol. Should I use wood shavings or hay in the wood nest boxes though? I have a couple trash cans that I think I will throw in the truck and fill em up.

Quote:

Ok cool, I was thinking about using wood shavings instead of Hay but wasnt sure where to go for em without having to pay an arm and a leg lol. Should I use wood shavings or hay in the wood nest boxes though? I have a couple trash cans that I think I will throw in the truck and fill em up.

I am sure you can use shavings in the boxes as well.
Maybe someone else can chime in on that?

Personally, I put shavings in the bottom then put hay on top. I close up the nest boxes to keep the girls from sleeping in them at night, but poopies come off the hay easier. I've put shavings in them, and had the girls go in and take a dust bath in there and throw them all out.
roll.png
You can use anything you want, though.
smile.png

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Personally, I put shavings in the bottom then put hay on top. I close up the nest boxes to keep the girls from sleeping in them at night, but poopies come off the hay easier. I've put shavings in them, and had the girls go in and take a dust bath in there and throw them all out.
roll.png
You can use anything you want, though.
smile.png

I've got the same problem with them sleeping in them. I have most of them broke of it now though.
However, if I was a chicken, I think I would be fightling for the right ot sleep in a cozy box too
lol.png

I use both Shavings and hay in the nest boxes I sprinkled the shavings with DE, then add the hay over the top.

Edited to add:

35593_4crchicks.jpg

35593_4crchicksb.jpg

I still hear cheeping in the incubator, so eggs were spritzed with warm water and incubator closed again!

Last edited:
OK, most embarrasing here, but we can't swing an Azure order till next month, so the DE will have to wait, unless another member on here wnats to join WLW and make the order.
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom