Alaska Chicken Lover's Soup for the Cold!!

That does sound like fun.

Paula, I saved potatoes I bought at farmer's market last year--blues and peanuts. I also have some reds and yukon golds from the grocery store. I have planted grocery store potatoes many times and had marvelous harvests.

I've done that too Carmen and had pretty good luck with them in a pinch...
wink.png

Thanks for the ideas ya'all!
I will not plant store bought, as that is how the blight was brought in.
Thinking I will go with what ever Budget has, and then this fall buy several varieties at the markets, to save over.
I had never thought of doing that before.

So I just put some Black Copper Marans eggs, Welsummer cross and Cuckoo Marans eggs in the bater. Its a big batch and if all of them hatch i will have 26 baby chicks. More then I will want to keep. They are due to hatch around the 5th of march. I will be picking the ones I want to keep and was wondering if any of you would like to get some. I though I would give you the choice before I list them els where. I all so put two mistery white eggs in there
smile.png
It will be fun finding out what they are if they hatch.

Quote:
I don't know how many your friend is wanting but I know of at least one local flock that has mostly good breeder bloodlines. (My old flock is still in tact, but I don't know how many hens survived a bout of owl attacks.) If you're interested, I could get hatching eggs for you for a reasonable fee when it gets a bit warmer. They're very nice birds and I highly recommend them for a flock of a single breed, the hens are rockstars in the nest box and the boys get big and meaty. I had 4 or 5 roos and none of them ever showed any aggression to people, they were just bullies to my other breeds.

Clyde,

If it helps any, Rachel "Haiku" had my old breeders and some of the new guys I hatched out. She bought our flock that we had here and may still have access to them?

Deb

Last edited:
Wow love the picks wish I had room for some but my hubby would so kill me if I got some now with eggs in the bator lol. So far looking like a march 5th hatch. Though I have been haveing a horrible time keeping the temp steady I'm thinking it's cause of the wall gets cold in the winter but that is the only place safe from the kids and other animals so here's hoping it works out if not I know not the start hatching this soon next year.

Back
Top Bottom