albino chicken

3 months old my 'incomplete' Albino pullet is doing well. Her eyes have a very red pupil, but a little colouring in the iris and she has a slight tinge of buff/pink in her feathers. She is so very quiet and absolutely lovely!
cheers,
Jen

Hi there,
Lighting wasn't great in that shot. My profile pic is the first one I discovered as soon as she had fluffed up.
there are varying degrees of Albinism with the lack of pigment in the eyes (red eyes) being the key trait of an albino. These ones are 'incomplete' albinos' as they have the red eyes but very washed out pigmentation in their stalks (legs), beaks and feathers. The feather colouring in one inparticular was a pinkish tone. beautiful. this one is the last remaining one I have and she is absolutely beautiful and quiet. she doesn't seem to have an issue with poor vision.
cheers,
Jen

Do albino chickens hold any special worth? I recently hatched 7 Buff Orphington albino chicks. Yes they are true albino with solid red eyes and all.

I'm not sure she is albino or not...
I'm not even sure if she is an Orpington or a Rhode Island.
Because she came from a random batch of hatching eggs from a local chicken breeder with over 30 varieties.

I've never seen a whiter chicken...
Which is ironic because I also breed ayam cemani...

My best picture for accurate color.
But she sure is white for an Orpington.

My camera keeps trying to add color to her.
But you can at least see her blond greenish blue eyes (over color saturated)

Last edited:
From
http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/albinism

The precise appearance depends upon which syndrome or condition is involved. Popular opinion is that people with albinism have red eyes but the colour of the iris varies from a dull grey to blue and even brown. A brown iris is common in ethnic groups with darker pigmentation. Under certain lighting conditions, there is a reddish or violet hue reflected through the iris from the retina and the eyes appear red (similar to the 'red eye' in flash photography). With some types of albinism the red colour can reflect back through the iris as well as through the pupil.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmm

Again, Over saturated color in my photo
but you can see her iris and her white eyelashes which suggest she is albino.

Last edited:
Do albino chickens hold any special worth? I recently hatched 7 Buff Orphington albino chicks. Yes they are true albino with solid red eyes and all.
Albino's often have skin issues and get sunburned easily. Once you get an albino in your breeding group you'll never get anything else since there is no pigment present. But they are cool

I have a baby chick 2 days old. It pipped on easter and a few days later still wasn't hatched. It was a sticky chick, meaning that it didnt absorb the albumen. i cleared the shell around the beak to make sure it could breath since it was still tweeting, but also drowning. Later that day, we could see bubbles in the liquid inside the egg so we peeled away the shell to find that the chick still hadnt absorbed the yolk. We left it for the day and it absorbed the rest. Later that evening, I noticed the stickiness started to dry and the chick became unable to move and kept shaking and shivering. I didnt know what to do, but I couldn;t watch anymore so when I tried to pick the chick up to soak it in a warm bath, it was glued to the bottom of the incubator. I used a syringe with warm water and wet it down as I slowly pried it from the bottom. Then I soaked it in a warm bath in my hands in the sink for about 10 minutes. After the shells, blood and all the goo was removed, I put it in a bowl under a heat lamp. By the end of the night it was sitting up and holding its head up. I knew I had saved "her" (I think). Within the next few days she started to walk and become more active until I could add her with the other chicks. She is half the size of the others and she loves to snuggle like crazy. She tries to snuggle under the wings of the other babies. She is the sweetest little thing and she is less rambunctious than the rest. She came from a leghorn egg. Those chicks are always a very light yellow and they are the puffiest chicks ive ever seen. This little sweetheart has a greyish cast and her legs and beak are a much paler color and her fur is short. Although her eyes are black at this point, I still wonder if she could be albino, due to not absorbing the albumen and her stunted growth. She looks different than the others

Is she albino?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom