Alert but legs not working- all is well now

chickenncat

Chirping
Jan 20, 2016
This morning opened the coop to let the chickens out. This one didn't come out. On inspection, I found her laying with one leg stretched behind her. I picked her up and inspected the foot and the rest of the body. No visible injury. Last night they all went to bed per normal.
She's alert and pecking at food. I gave her a grape, which in normal circumstances all the chickens grab and run with it so they can have it on their own. She grabbed the grape and tried to run but her legs failed her. It's as is she's swimming when she tries to move. Legs behind...
I am giving her this product: Vetark Professional Critical Care Formula https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00393SPOS
That's the white stuff you see in the picture. I am spoon feeding water as well so that she's not dehydrated. Not sure what's wrong with her... Her feet and legs show zero injury and seem to bend per normal on inspection. Any ideas?

Attachments

• chicken.png
    chicken.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 11
Sorry about your hen. She looks to be molting or starting to molt. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Her symptoms could be from a back injury, but I would try to rule out Mareks disease. The position of her legs sounds like Mareks. Place her close to food and water, and try to get her eating some cooked chopped egg, and you can offer a few sunflower hearts or tuna. I would also try some vitamin B complex 1/4 tablet daily crushed onto her food to see if that helps her.

Last edited:
I read the other thread talking about the same. The chicken seems fine after a bit of TLC. She even laid an egg. A bit wobbly still but ok so far...

I should have said, the reason she seems like she's molting is because she's a rescue hen. You should have seen them about 4 weeks ago when I ago when I adopted 6 of them. Hardly any feather on them, a bit smelly, over all in very poor condition. This is her looking her best so far. She's growing new feathers and the old stuff will eventually fall out. Attaching a picture of the day I adopted these girlies... After laying her egg, she started to eat some more and pooping. Maybe had a hard time laying.. not sure.

Attachments

• adoption_day1.png
    adoption_day1.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 9
Does the product you are feeding have any vitamins? If not I would offer her some chopped liver, or give her 1/4 tablet of human vitamin B complex daily, mixed into her food.

Here’s the product info. It doesn’t look like there’s vitamins in it. Just protein. I’ll cook up an egg for her. Thank you so much

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom