Alertish Dog-Attacked Rooster in Recovery Hangs Head and Reguritating

RoosterDoo

Songster
9 Years
Feb 5, 2014
Wyoming
So, last night, my dog got loose and (I think, unlike him as he runs with them all day, but you never know) attacked one of my Roos.
ep.gif

I came up on him back skinned to hell crouched in a bed of his own feathers. I have survived many dog attacks and had only one other in my years be skinned and still alive. My mother helped me sew "Lucky" (named before the accident) back together and she went on to survive three more attacks from the local dogs of negligent owners. "Samson" now has maybe a foot worth of stitches. The wounds were thoroughly cleaned and sanitized, then stitched with white cotton thread and a sharp needle, leaving a few small holes for seepage. The concern is that, while he is still alert and breathing normally, he is hanging his head below his crop, allowing its contents to eek out of his open beak. Before and after pic to follow shortly.

The wounds are as follows: split incision from between wings and under left wing, curved down side of backbone to the hip then along front of thigh. Split over left wing 2 inches along the base. Picture is shown during stitching. Wing is already done, and working down the back.

The substance coming out in the picture is part of breakfast, vitamin enriched baby parrot food, tube fed. Last night, his regurgitating consisted of watery goo and some small bits of corn. His stools are watery with softer solids in a light guacamole color.

Hopefully his neck isn't broken. You've already cleaned the wounds. Keeping him in a warm, dark, and quiet place will be the best thing you can do to give him a safe place to try recovering. Good luck.

I am also suspecting sour crop, he stinks! But it is recent, more than likely a trauma induced something or other, but I hate to string him upside down because of his injuries.

I have no further advice other than what has already been offered .I am so very sorry that you are going through this and especially for your Roo....you have managed to help him survive by your wonderful efforts.... I can only hope he rewards you by his full recovery....
fl.gif

Maybe a silly thought....but when any of mine are debilitated and their head is down I will roll up a towel and put it under their wattles which may help with their breathing as it raises the head somewhat..may also help with any regurgitating as the head is very low otherwise.

I have determined that Sam the Salmon Faverolle, will be spending his final hours tonight. He has decided to lay in the sink, eyes closed, comb blackening, and has started to gurgle.

Has anyone had experience with raccoon? I live in Northeastern Colorado, on the grassland. I haven't heard a coyote in over two months, since the dogs have spent the majority of the night and day (230am - 9pm, or later if we are out) chained out thirty feet from the chicken coop door.

My 25lb miniature aussie is the dog mentioned in the first post... I don't think he could have pulled through a choke collar and two carabiner clips, just to attack one chicken. One clasp was stretched open and the other the clip bar was snapped off, not just the pin holding it together, the arms were the pin goes through were broken off. This dog reaches the end of the lead and yelps when the collar begins to tug... and there was no blood on his white chin or paws.

Unfortunately sounds like he may have ingested fluids into lungs,i think in another post you mentioned he was regurgitating his food. This poor boy must be in considerable pain,was any pain relief given to him? Keep him warm and provide whatever comfort you can.

Back
Top Bottom