Alfalfa for bedding?

urbanchicks76

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 14, 2010
Does anyone use alfalfa Hay for the bedding? Our local feed store told us its better for the chickens than the pine shavings so I split a bale of it with my friend. We have been using it for about 1 week. I have not decided if I like it or not. We have 1/2 a bale so I gotta use it up. Anyone have an opinion on alfalfa?

That's weird. There is nothing at all wrong with shavings as bedding, and alfalfa is generally no cheaper and often more expensive. Because of the long stems it is harder to spot-clean than shavings or chopped straw, and it is often dusty, and frankly it just seems WASTEFUL to me to use perfectly good FOOD as bedding
tongue.png
(Though I wonder if this is maybe the feedstore's sneaky way of unloading some spoiled or old-stemmy alfalfa for full price
tongue.png
)

But, if you like using it, sure, knock yourself out, it is not going to hurt the chickens as long as you don't let the fines accumulate and get moldy.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Pat I agree with you. Its harder to clean. I was just wondering cuz I think I'm not liking it. I'm glad I split the bale
smile.png
I still have tons!! I'm so new to chickens I'm learning as I go.

I'm also looking into alfalfa since it's available in bulk for cheap near me. I'm probably just going to switch to aspen though.
Cedar has "damaging effects of plicatic acid on chickens' respiratory systems, the damaging effects of terpene hydrocarbons and aromatic compounds on chickens' livers, and the carcinogenic nature of cedar dust."
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thefeatherbrain.com/blog/cedar-bedding-chicken-coops?format=amp

Pine is "unsafe for chickens due to the damaging effects of abietic acid on the respiratory system, the damaging effects of terpene hydrocarbons and aromatic compounds on liver function, and the carcinogenic nature of pine dust."
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...g/toxic-chicken-coop-pine-shavings?format=amp

Last edited:
I dont use alfalfa for bedding, but don't start thinking that you wasted your money. (If you decide not to use it for bedding) spread a layer of it in your run now and then. The chickens love to eat the little leaves. It seems to help darken up the yolks and then they're left with the stems, which they love to scratch around in looking for bugs and other misc hidden food. I like to do it in the winter when green plants for them to forage on are hard to come by. As a bonus the stems also help reduce the soft, muddy conditions in the run during the wet months. At least for me and my set up it's all beneficial.

I use Straw. Cheaper than hay, less prone to rot (lower moisture content), better cushion.

I would in no way be opposed to pine shavings, and have used them before when straw couldn't be had. They are predominantly from the whitewood portion of fast growth pines, which contain little of the more aromatic, and potentially concerning, compounds concentrated near the heart of the tree. Moreover, a well ventilated coop will be moving those VoCs out quickly, preventing them from reaching significant concentrations in the nesting area. A poorly ventilated coop has bigger concerns than the bedding material choice.

I use Straw. Cheaper than hay, less prone to rot (lower moisture content), better cushion.

I would in no way be opposed to pine shavings, and have used them before when straw couldn't be had. They are predominantly from the whitewood portion of fast growth pines, which contain little of the more aromatic, and potentially concerning, compounds concentrated near the heart of the tree. Moreover, a well ventilated coop will be moving those VoCs out quickly, preventing them from reaching significant concentrations in the nesting area. A poorly ventilated coop has bigger concerns than the bedding material choice.
I also use straw for the bedding and nesting material. I use alfalfa on the outside of my coop for them to eat and scratch in during the winter when it is just dirt. I've never heard of using wood shavings, but my coop is not small and maybe that's the difference for me, I don't have to spot clean anything, the floor of the coop is dirt.

I also use straw for the bedding and nesting material. I use alfalfa on the outside of my coop for them to eat and scratch in during the winter when it is just dirt. I've never heard of using wood shavings, but my coop is not small and maybe that's the difference for me, I don't have to spot clean anything, the floor of the coop is dirt.
I use shavings sometimes in the nesting boxes, when I can't find straw. My coops are also "not small" - one has an 8x12 footprint+, the other 10x16. Dirt floors and leaf litter are my friend

Back
Top Bottom