alfalfa hay

Quote:
I've had chickens and horses that ate alfalfa for over twenty years. The chickens eat after the horses and also eat alfalfa in the hay barn. Not once in over twenty years have I ever had a chicken with an impacted crop. Not one time. I'd say alfalfa is not a high risk cause of impacted crop.
Currently, I'm unable to keep horses at my house but I rake up my hay and bring the scraps home for the chickens. At 22% protein, high calcium and lots of vitamins, I'm not about to let that stuff go to waste, just because it's fallen from the flakes and is too much trouble to feed the horses!

Yes, it is ground. Usually any feed store that sells the pellets will sell the meal. The pellets are bitter and often chickens don't eat them well; at least none I've ever seen. The meal, when mixed in with the regular feed, will cling to the other ingredients. The is virtually no waste.

We usually use straw for nest lining and floor covering because it's cheaper and more absorbant than hay. We will throw some seedy hay in in winter for a diversion more than anything.
However, our nest boxes are currently lined with a mixed grass hay because some neighbors had a wagon load more than they needed and gave us a great deal on it--$1 a bale...like, cheaper than straw!--to save themselves unloading it.

Don't you run the risk of impacted crops if they eat the stems?
I noticed the stems disappearings and took it out. But, they sure liked the leaves & bits when I first put it in. So, I'm not sure what to do?
idunno.gif
I've heard of impacted crop. Would you suggest shaking the hay stems apart from the leaves?

I've heard of the risk of an impacted crop as well. I really want to use alfalfa for them this winter as a way to give them some greens but I'm scared something will happen. Can I use those little bales meant for rabbits and other small animals to see how they do with it before I buy a whole big bale?

I've heard of the risk of an impacted crop as well. I really want to use alfalfa for them this winter as a way to give them some greens but I'm scared something will happen. Can I use those little bales meant for rabbits and other small animals to see how they do with it before I buy a whole big bale?

Find a good feed mill and get a 50lb bag of Alfalfa Meal, it will cost a lot less and be better for them.
Just wet some and feed it. Alfalfa Meal is added to most good poultry feeds already but a little extra in the winter is good.

I'm in the UK and never heard of a 'flake' of hay. What is that?
Also only seen alfalfa as rough stuff mixed with molasses. I assume you guys are not meaning that stuff do you?
Comes in large bale sized bags and states its for horses. I guess thats no good for chickens to either eat or nest on?
Or is it?

I'm in US and never heard of a " flake"! But haven't used alfalfa..except for gardening to add nitrogen to the soil.....Is that like a batt of straw?

Back
Top Bottom