alfalfa hay

I'm in the UK and never heard of a 'flake' of hay. What is that?
Also only seen alfalfa as rough stuff mixed with molasses. I assume you guys are not meaning that stuff do you?
Comes in large bale sized bags and states its for horses. I guess thats no good for chickens to either eat or nest on?
Or is it?

I'm in US and never heard of a " flake"! But haven't used alfalfa..except for gardening to add nitrogen to the soil.....Is that like a batt of straw?
A flake is one section of alfalfa. It comes in a bale with separate sections to pull off. People might say give my horse 2 flakes of hay or alfalfa. Does that make sense?

Errr not really! Must be very different to the stuff I've seen as its all in one big bag and looks like coarse chopped straw!
Its also a bit smelly (nice smell though) due to the molasses that have been added.

Errr not really! Must be very different to the stuff I've seen as its all in one big bag and looks like coarse chopped straw!
Its also a bit smelly (nice smell though) due to the molasses that have been added.
Below is what our alfalfa looks like. Although there are different sizes also. This shows the separation of flakes.

https://www.google.com/search?sa=G&q=alfalfa+hay+bale&tbm=isch&tbs=simg:CAQSZRpjCxCo1NgEGgIIAgwLELCMpwgaPAo6CAISFLIN3w7gJ44NxBDXFLEOyRqMFaQOGiBA8rDkt00ImYdMXh4atxzZqfcU1v9wWNcEDiLC7NlJvwwLEI6u_1ggaCgoICAESBO9ObaYM&ei=6KktVMq_D9LdoATHxYLoBQ&ved=0CBsQwg4oAA&biw=1212&bih=862

Guess that looks much like Ive seen but that is clearly better stuff as its still green!
Now I understand what a flake is!! Thanks! :)

Back
Top Bottom