Alfalfa pellets for my chickens?

Visit all the grocery stores in your area. Ask them for the trimmings they get off their produce. That should get you some 'green goodies.'

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion but I have tried giving them lettuce, cabbage, carrots, pears, etc and they don't care for it. I've tried several times and no luck. Also, I just bought a pound of alfalfa pellets and soaks them in water. I gave it to them and no takers either. I'm going to keep trying for the next few days and hopefully they'll like it soon. If not, I'll probably have to consider growing comfrey for them.

Quote:
Ahhh, theres a trick. Withhold all other feed when you give them the greens. Make the green feed their midday feeding, and remove all other feed from them for several hours prior.

Last edited:
I really wouldn't advise taking away their food or getting trimming from vegetables from the grocery store. Chickens need to have constant access to food and water. The grocery greens and other things might not be fresh and most likely sprayed with chemicals.

How big of a grass area do you have? If it is not sprayed with chemicals let them free range. They know what is best for them to eat.

Thanks for the suggestion but I have tried giving them lettuce, cabbage, carrots, pears, etc and they don't care for it. I've tried several times and no luck. Also, I just bought a pound of alfalfa pellets and soaks them in water. I gave it to them and no takers either. I'm going to keep trying for the next few days and hopefully they'll like it soon. If not, I'll probably have to consider growing comfrey for them.

There is some controversy these days about feeding comfrey to livestock. Some say it is better not to use it as feed.

If you are going to grow comfrey, try planting some clovers, dandelions, Swiss chard, plantain, purslane, timothy or alfalfa instead.

Also, if your birds aren't used to the store greens, try chopping them up.

ETA: Carrots and winter squashes like pumpkin, are full of beta carotene (vitamin A) and make for very beautiful orange yolks.​

Last edited:
The "trick" to getting them to eat it is mix it with their feed! I soak it and put their crumble in and the scarf it all down.

I ferment my feed now and I just put it all in and ferment and you had nested move when you put that feed down... The ducks will run you over and the chickens will climb a over you! (G)

Back
Top Bottom