All about ducks-- duck owners please chime in

Iluvmypeeps

Songster
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
Arizona
Everyone, I'm considering getting a duck. I need some expertise on the subject, though.

First question is, where is an inexpensive place to get a diaper?

Next question is, is it at all possible to keep my duck happy without another duck? It will be kept with chickens, and will be a cherished family pet. Is that enough to keep a single duck happy?

Next question is, I read that adult birds require extra protein. How would I go about with providing this?

Final question; would a kid's pool work for something it'd swim in? It would be frequently cleaned, of course. But would it be big enough?

Thanks so much for your time!

Hiya,
first of all ducks are fantastic pets so good choice.
You can get good duck diapers from indoorducks.com or I think there was a pattern on here which you could copy and make up yourself.
The duck should be fine in my opinion as a sole duck, as it will have you and your chickens as company it will regard you as one of its own and should be content.
Not too sure about the protein I feed mine shop bought duck and goose feed and they also free range in my garden and I give them corn and vegetables as an afternoon treat and they seem healthy enough.
Kiddy pools work fine just make sure its a hard plastic one, I also make little steps with bricks so they can in and out easily.

Hope that helps
big_smile.png

Quote:
I have 8 ducks so I'm not sure about the 1 duck and chickens. for a diaper - check indoorducks.com
As far as a kiddie pool - they work great! Here is a picture of mine and the drain that I hooked up. I started with much smaller pool that I could easily pick up and dump - it was ok for 4 ducks but with 8 I needed something bigger but didn't want to lift it...the drain was easy to do. I started a hole with a large drill bit then just carved the rest with an exacto knife. the yellow piece is for connecting 2 wa ter hoses to a faucet. It has a cut off valve.
congrats and good luck!

56653_img_1157.jpg

56653_img_1159.jpg

Back
Top Bottom