All advice for raising ducklings please

Pics
@New duck mommy 2021 the baby in the egg I think has pushed some if not all the membrane from the open part of the egg off. I can see I am guessing a wing that will come out in front of it's bill against the syran wrap. Do I still leave the wrap on there? Should I make it a bit tighter so it doesn't wiggle out before everything is absorbed. Or put it in a cup???
Can you candle the egg and look for veins. When baby is absorbed you can see through
I don’t want him to swallow plastic wrap so I’m a bit worried
If you see veins maybe stick him in a cup and wrap dry paper towel around him but not covering his face

Can you candle the egg and look for veins. When baby is absorbed you can see through
I don’t want him to swallow plastic wrap so I’m a bit worried
If you see veins maybe stick him in a cup and wrap dry paper towel around him but not covering his face
I will candle and get more pictures. I don't think it can swallow the plastic wrap. It is a decent size piece. I have to oil it soon so will get pics then.

@New duck mommy 2021

Here are some pics. U can see the veins, one spot is the leg as I watched it move. I took a pic from the top looking down in. You can see the gap between the duckling and the hell with the veins. And you can see where it broke through the membrane. The top right of the 3rd picture and top of the 4th is looking down into the egg beside the duckling. That is the bottom of the egg not up next to the duckling if that makes sense.

Attachments

• IMG_20240507_191823631_MP.jpg
    IMG_20240507_191823631_MP.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240507_191956698.jpg
    IMG_20240507_191956698.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240507_192002192_MP.jpg
    IMG_20240507_192002192_MP.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240507_192013258.jpg
    IMG_20240507_192013258.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 4
@New duck mommy 2021

Here are some pics. U can see the veins, one spot is the leg as I watched it move. I took a pic from the top looking down in. You can see the gap between the duckling and the hell with the veins. And you can see where it broke through the membrane. The top right of the 3rd picture and top of the 4th is looking down into the egg beside the duckling. That is the bottom of the egg not up next to the duckling if that makes sense.
@New duck mommy 2021

@New duck mommy 2021

I still see red veins
So he has a bit to go
But has made progress as the egg is more clear ti see in
Once those red veins go he will be ready
Check in 6 -8 hours

I still see red veins
So he has a bit to go
But has made progress as the egg is more clear ti see in
Once those red veins go he will be ready
Check in 6 -8 hours
Ya I saw the veins, I just never realized they pulled away from the sides of the egg. Lol. Going to have to check in the am. I checked around 7pm. So 6-8 hrs is 1-3am which normally I am up but I have a cold and have to be up around 6am for work. So probably shouldn't stay up till 1. So it will be about 13 hrs till I can check at 6am. Then can't really check again until like 4:30 pm

Ok so funny thing. The first duckling pipped last Wed. (Hatch day was Sat), I had chicken eggs due to hatch at the same time. First chicken egg pipped Thurs night I think it was and the chick hatched first.

Well I had set a few eggs 5 days after the first set. I have 3 that should hatch Thurs. But they internally pipped earlier today so betting external tonight or in the am. So we once again will have a race to see who hatches first.

Has anyone had a duck hatch this late and be fine??? Think we are now on day 31.

Hard to get a picture through the incubator and the plastic wrap but look at this little cutie!! I put the piece of the shell on but he pushes and it slides down some, but I figure it helps hold his body in.

Attachments

• IMG_20240507_214023350.jpg
    IMG_20240507_214023350.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20240507_214051127.jpg
    IMG_20240507_214051127.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 3
Ya I saw the veins, I just never realized they pulled away from the sides of the egg. Lol. Going to have to check in the am. I checked around 7pm. So 6-8 hrs is 1-3am which normally I am up but I have a cold and have to be up around 6am for work. So probably shouldn't stay up till 1. So it will be about 13 hrs till I can check at 6am. Then can't really check again until like 4:30 pm

Ok so funny thing. The first duckling pipped last Wed. (Hatch day was Sat), I had chicken eggs due to hatch at the same time. First chicken egg pipped Thurs night I think it was and the chick hatched first.

Well I had set a few eggs 5 days after the first set. I have 3 that should hatch Thurs. But they internally pipped earlier today so betting external tonight or in the am. So we once again will have a race to see who hatches first.

Has anyone had a duck hatch this late and be fine??? Think we are now on day 31.
I have and one under my broody was day 30
Checking later should be fine as well

I have and one under my broody was day 30
Checking later should be fine as well
Now question is if there are still some veins I won't be able to check again for like 10 hrs. Should that be ok? I can have my daughter peek at it but she won't candle or anything. Should I leave the plastic wrap on while I am at work?

Back
Top Bottom