All beetles, no mealworms. WHY?

Quote:
I go to our local Winco grocery store, because they have an excellent bulk goods section. They sell wheat bran all the time, and I use it quite a bit in different breads. failing that, a plain wheat bran cereal will work just fine if you crush it up a bit. I throw in an equal amount of whole wheat flour too and they seem to be thriving in it...

wink.png

Okay, posting a silly question but how do you remove the larger worms for storing or feeding? Just pick through the bran with your fingers? That seems labor intensive when you talk about hundreds or thousands of worms... I read about the paper bags on top. Does that work well? Do the bags go over the carrots/potatoes?

Thanks!!!
Lori

Quote:
It's not as gross as you might think. The browner mealworms are a bit more firm and crunchy, and once they molt they are white and quite tender. Your chooks likely don't care and will probably eat either one, and be prepared for them to be greedy about it...

And sure, any time you make a new worm nest, anything old can go in the compost pile.

wink.png

What can I use for bedding for them?? I have them in the container they came in with some wheat flour added and oatmeal but its the quick cooking kind (plain) is this okay?? What else, besides veggies and fruits, can I put in there? I know youre to put thinly sliced potato to keep moisture, do u just put that on top of the bedding and worms??

Thanks
smile.png

You should Google "mealworms" and do some reading on the numerous internet sources out there for this info. It's easier than if I try and post it here instead...

wink.png

Quote:
Hi ! I have posted this twice. Hope this helps. Make sure you use apples, not potatoes, and chick mash, not bran. Cooler temps WILL keep them from changing so fast. That's why they keep the mealworms in the fridge, so they turn so fast.
wink.png

Start with a clear plastic container, about 2 ft x 1 ft, or thereabouts. Doesn't need to be exact. Cut a hole in the lid, longer than wide, about 1 ft long x 6 in. wide, you get the idea. The purpose of the hole is to let air flow in and out. Next cover the hole with screening material, not landscape fabric. Tape it to the underside of the lid with duct tape. If you don't tape it from the underside, the mealworms and bugs can get in underneath the screen, between the lid, get caught, and die.
Now, put about 3 " of chicken scratch in the bottom, place a half of a cut apple, cut side up, and cover with 4 layers of paper bags. That's it! If you have lot's of mealworms, you might want to use the whole apple. Check the apple occasionally to make sure it doesn't rot. If it does, replace with a fresh apple. I have used potates before, as some suggest, but the apple works MUCH better. I have also put in slices of stale bread.
Now, in case you don't know very much about mealworms, they go through three stages. I'm not sure which stage comes first, kinda like the egg or the chicken ;o) There is a black bug stage (hence the lid. You don't want them crawling out.) Then there is a stage where they look kinda like a larvae. The mealworms crawl between the paper bags and turn into this. Then the larvae turns into the black bugs, then the bugs lay eggs, then mealworms, etc. It's a cycle.
I suggest you don't use your mealworms for a while, so they can go through their cycle to replenish themselves.
I just keep mine in my basement. The coolness keeps them from changing so fast, but you might want to keep them warmer to start out, so they multiply faster.
I have 2 "farms" going. They go through them fast!

Good luck!
Jen

I use carrots... i'll have to try apples too..
smile.png

I know the potatos mold like CRAZY...
sickbyc.gif
and you DO NOT want to feed that to your worms..(any food that gets moldy..).. and then feed the worms to your chickens..it will kill your chickens!

Just a couple of quick pointers. Cool temps can stop the growth of the worms, Beetles need humidity for max egg laying, they can be as few as 4 eggs or as many as 150 per beetle depending on humidity. remove larva from worms as worms eat larva, and beetles to their own container for same reason. beetles will also eat eggs so only keep them in a container for a couple of weeks then move them to a fresh one. separate worms, larva and beetles with a sifter. a sifter with about 1/8 inch mesh works really well. even if the entire from worm to larva to beetle to egg to worm process goes fast it takes 4 months. slow it down and there is no telling the worm can go dormant for a year at low enough temperatures.

Back
Top Bottom