All Flock Higher Protein Feed vs. Layer Feed

20% all flock here, all chickens, all ages. Oyster shell on side.
Currently buying Kalmbach Flock Maker, they love it, never waste any.
This is what I use as a compromise between sub-par layer and very high 22%. I had been using 22% based on BYC recommendations but my local chicken lady where I get my chicks (she formerly worked at Privett,) argues with me that protein to high is also bad, it can cause them to grow to fast and have reproductive issues. So... I split the difference with 20% Kalmbach.... :oops::idunno

Wow I didn't even know about heritage v/s high production breeds thing.
We lost our high production leghorns a couple months ago (old age , reproductive issues) and now I have a baby rooster for the first time and was planning on switching to all flock but was not sure. Thanks for the info. Feel more confident to make a good choice.

I use Purina's all flock feed too, 20% protein, and crushed eggshell on the side. Works for all ages and kinds of chickens. I've never used layer feed and never will. I don't like the idea of the flat-rate pre-added calcium - their needs vary a lot throughout their lives, so a flat rate isn't a good idea long-term. And the protein content in layer feeds is usually too low. My chickens have been doing great.

Mixed mutt, free range flock - all ages, both genders. All Flock-type formulation is the only practical approach for most. Which is why I recommend.

For complicated reasons, I don't actually feed my own birds this way, but I don't feed them Layer, either. As I said in the linked comment above, "Doing something different has limited benefits in limited conditions, and should only be considered after weighing all practical options." I've weighed my options, surveyed my local pricing, considered my risk tolerance and made an educated choice for myself I don't recommend for anyone not able to independently make their own personal assessment.

This is what I use as a compromise between sub-par layer and very high 22%. I had been using 22% based on BYC recommendations but my local chicken lady where I get my chicks (she formerly worked at Privett,) argues with me that protein to high is also bad, it can cause them to grow to fast and have reproductive issues. So... I split the difference with 20% Kalmbach.... :oops::idunno
Too high protein is hard to find on your typical chicken aisle. The studies which tried to induce health defects in chicken from excess protein were in excess of 30%cp. You aren't going to find that on the typical shelf, and you won't find it priced comparably to an All Flock.

There are some studies claiming high CP (over 24%) is associated with increased incidence of Angel Wing in young ducks, though less frequently than excess carbs - but I can't find the research which initially established it. Its been repeated in relatively modern studies, but seems "poorly sourced". Even so, I don't feed my ducks over 25%, just in case.

There is a high incidence of problems in Cx, who are fed high protein, but that has a lot more to do with the breeding of Cx than the feed. The specialty feed for meaties only makes growing as fast as their genetics will allow possible, it doesn't cause it - or all my mutts would be a decent table weight at 8 weeks...

I have a pullet with salpingitis (laying lash eggs) who also has laid some soft and no shell eggs. I've tried giving her calcium pills, but that didn't seem to help. I normally feed Kalmbach Flock Maker 20% with calcium on the side.

For the last 6 weeks (two bags of feed), I've been feeding Purina Layer 19% protein.
IMG_E5839.JPG

IMG_E5840.JPG

My hope was that the extra calcium would help her.

Their usual source of calcium is just whatever Dumor puts in their bagged calcium bits, and their egg shells, crushed and given back to them. They take the egg shells over the Dumor stuff. I bought a different brand of calcium. Shouldn't have bothered. I bought flaked oyster shell. I don't know if they eat it.

This Purina feed is MUCH more expensive; $26/40 pounds versus $22/50 pounds on the Kalmbach.

My pullet is still laying soft and no shell eggs. I am going back to the Kalmbach. I don't think the Purina is making any difference in Pip's egg shells, and it is making a difference to my wallet.

We feed Purina Flock raiser, with oyster shell and grit on the side, and have for decades.
It's important to look at the mill date on each bag of feed before purchase, and get products that can be used within a very few months of milling. Also that the feed is stored properly both at the store and at home. Here I don't buy the Kalmbach because the local supplier has it in a three sided shed in all weathers. Not good!
And that pullet has an illness, so sorry.
Mary

Yesterday, I almost "went home the other way" from my errands in Grand Rapids, which would have taken me near where I buy Kalmbach feed. But I wasn't in the right lane and couldn't get on the highway. (Turning around on 28th Street is a MAJOR HASSLE. I avoid it for my sanity and blood pressure.)

So I went to buy Kalmbach feed today. And... someone bought all the Flock Maker yesterday afternoon. I would have been in time to get a bag if I'd remembered and been in the right lane on 28th Street.

They'll have more on Thursday. I bought a small bag of the Purina to be sure I have enough until then.

The price for 10 pounds? $12. Yeah, sanity and keeping my blood pressure in line are expensive these days. :lau

Back
Top Bottom