All four chickens in the nest box at once?!?!

lex381

Songster
10 Years
Aug 26, 2009
Oakland, CA
So, this morning when I came down to check if they layed any eggs yet a peeked inside the coop and ALL FOUR CHICKENS were crowded in the nest box! And, by the way, we have 2 nest boxes! Some were sitting on top of each other and 1 was looking quite uncomfortable on the bottom. Is this just because they all had to lay and egg at the same time and they all like that particular nest box? Please answer!

Mine lay where they want to..not where I want them to.They are to funny.
In one area we have three nesting boxes in a row......they want to use the middle one only...
A few months ago, we found a hen laying in a cardboard box that was sitting on my gardening bench.

we now have 4 boxes for them there and they fight over them.
Two lay in the hay storage,one lays in an old wood stove.
The boxes are by far the favorite.I think because they can duck down...you know, " if I can't see you, you can't
see me. We get the majority of our eggs from the boxes . Every day is like an Easter egg hunt
lol.png

Lol same with me. One of my chickens has just adopted 2 new nesting spots.
roll.png
It will be like an easter egg hunt.

Not unusual at all. I'm always amused at people who build 10 boxes for 10 birds. ha ha ha.

They all know what the prime spot is, even if we don't. I was having some congestion at the favorite box, so I put a covered cat box out at in the run, and as soon as the dominant hen started using that one, there was a line there too. Unless there is extreme fighting, just let the be.

Of course if you get a broody, you can guarantee it will be in the favorite box as well!

and as soon as the dominant hen started using that one, there was a line there too.

I love seeing them lined up waiting for their turn.
You could have a hen or two ready to go broody and they don't want to leave the nest. So they others are just climbing on top of them to lay.​

Quote:
I love seeing them lined up waiting for their turn.

Mine don't wait lol. My chickens are very impatient.

The most I have seen in a box at once was 5 & I couldn't figure how that could be conducive to laying, but when I tried pulling a couple out, they went right back. Mine seem to round robin which is their favorite, but I have had as many as 12 eggs in one box in one day from 45 hens.

Even though I have 3 nest boxes, they all fight over the same one. Most days there is a line and quite a bit of squawking going on as they all wait for their turn at that one box. Chickens!
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom