All my chicks are dead...

I'm happy to hear you have someone to help you rebuild. If you decide to start completely over, you might want to mosey on over to the Coop and Run Design section of the forum. You can get lots of good ideas there.

Wishing you all the best with your new flock!

Just read through your ordeal! So sorry that happened but how sweet your husband is to surprise you!

Whatever you decide to do to fortify your coop/run, I like the idea of a game camera. That way you can find out what is trying to get in your coop and take additional steps if necessary.

Best wishes to you with your new babies!

I'm so very sorry for your loss. I felt that pit in my stomach reading your story, remembering all the chickens we've loved and lost over the years. No matter what you do, it is inevitable to have losses, often a lot of times like we've had. The raccoons, dogs, bobcats, and hawks (plus sometimes snakes) are all very persistant. Sometimes we feel hopeless and too sad to start again, but we eventually try again. The only birds we never lost were the pets we kept in large indoor birdcages, bantam d'uccle. In case these tips help in some way for your next coop, we have years of experience now and a better idea of what works around here. We use 16 gauge nylon coated hardware cloth 1/2" square, expensive from fencerwire. And it covers everything including the top, with seams joined every 3" or less with outdoor zip ties. We use an apron around the outside bottom also to discourage digging. In the past these things didnt work for us : overhead nets on runs, hawks got in anyway many times around edges through small gaps. Raccoons and bobcats came at noon many times and wiped out full pens of birds. They are not strictly nocturnal. Dogs broke through strong structures but luckily came less often than raccoons and bobcats. Raccoons broke through plywood, ripped feet off birds kept on hardware cloth flooring, etc. We had 5 hawks at once hunting that carried away a neighbors full size turkey. Its like jurrasic park sometimes seriously. Livestock guardian dogs are an option but there are risks with that too during training stages.
This isnt meant to discourage but to help avoid some mistakes we've made. Please never blame yourself. The learning curve is very steep since most of us were not raised on farms like people 100 yrs ago. We're mostly all in the same boat and feel your heartache very deeply. Keep your chin up, tomorrow brings new joys :) and while we never forget the birds we've lost, please remember you gave them a good life for the time they were here.

I'm so so sorry for your loss! I didn't read all of the replies but there are a lot of smart peeps here and hopefully they can offer some guidance. You'll do great with your new babies!

WOW, I'm so sorry about that kind of loss. That also happened to me as a child raising pigeons, when my own 2 dogs broke into the aviary and killed all of my flock (hatched from eggs) so i really do feel your pain! My opinion is think it over really thoroughly then MAYBE begin another flock, or NOT.
I recently lost one chick and I felt like.....my fault! Your situation, is not your fault.

im so sorry for the loss of your baby chicks.......within 10 days i lost 2 of my 3 beautiful 3 year old hens.....my 3 girls were so sweet and beautiful, the first one luna , was by an acciden, my boyfriend 9 times out of 10 locks the chickens up at night, and 9 times out of 10 i ask did you lock them up, well that night neither or those things happened, and my poor luna paid the price, felt so guilty and devastated........then 2 nights ago ruby and dahlia wre locked in the coop and we heard that horrible dreaded chicken scream that still haunts me went flying down to the coop and my dahlia was dead....we think a raccoon pryed of a board from the roof and got in that way..we had checked a few days before that for weak spots, but we didnt check the roof, the roof had wood, and the plastic awning with a tarp over it and they still got in, im just sick and so heartbroken, these were my frist 3 hens, they were so happy and healty they loved to roam our yard during the day and just hang out whever we were....still kicking myself for not puting ruby and dahlia in the garage until we triple checked everything....i was worried that ruby would be so lonely and even thou i was hesitant we got 3 new 9 week old chickens.....im hoping they will be as sweet and personable as my others, we got the othe others much younger...we have ruby and the new ones in the garage for awhile till my boyfriend finishes the wood hutch hes making that is on legs all wood and will be completely closed and locked at night and it will be inside the locked reinforced coop...for double protectio.....i think the best coop would be made from cinder blocks , then maybe chickens would be safer, i just miss my 2 hens so much i have cried for 3 days now...im also thinking of electric wire, not sure how the new ones will be but i too thought it might help me get thru this a little easier

im so sorry for the loss of your baby chicks.......within 10 days i lost 2 of my 3 beautiful 3 year old hens.....my 3 girls were so sweet and beautiful, the first one luna , was by an acciden, my boyfriend 9 times out of 10 locks the chickens up at night, and 9 times out of 10 i ask did you lock them up, well that night neither or those things happened, and my poor luna paid the price, felt so guilty and devastated........then 2 nights ago ruby and dahlia wre locked in the coop and we heard that horrible dreaded chicken scream that still haunts me went flying down to the coop and my dahlia was dead....we think a raccoon pryed of a board from the roof and got in that way..we had checked a few days before that for weak spots, but we didnt check the roof, the roof had wood, and the plastic awning with a tarp over it and they still got in, im just sick and so heartbroken, these were my frist 3 hens, they were so happy and healty they loved to roam our yard during the day and just hang out whever we were....still kicking myself for not puting ruby and dahlia in the garage until we triple checked everything....i was worried that ruby would be so lonely and even thou i was hesitant we got 3 new 9 week old chickens.....im hoping they will be as sweet and personable as my others, we got the othe others much younger...we have ruby and the new ones in the garage for awhile till my boyfriend finishes the wood hutch hes making that is on legs all wood and will be completely closed and locked at night and it will be inside the locked reinforced coop...for double protectio.....i think the best coop would be made from cinder blocks , then maybe chickens would be safer, i just miss my 2 hens so much i have cried for 3 days now...im also thinking of electric wire, not sure how the new ones will be but i too thought it might help me get thru this a little easier

It's tough losing our precious girls.
I am sorry for your loss.

Beware that the raccoon/or whatever will be back...so make sure everything is very secure.
Hardwire cloth is pretty good too.

Getting a 6' solid wood fence in two weeks to surround mu entire yard, then adding a hot wire perimeter around the coop and run. Here's to a much safer future!

Getting a 6' solid wood fence in two weeks to surround mu entire yard, then adding a hot wire perimeter around the coop and run. Here's to a much safer future!

Having a tall fence will not keep out predators, imo...I have seen opossum easily climb right over them.

Make sure the coop is secure too.

Good luck.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom