All my chicks died

I sure don't understand chickens fully and I just hatched some RIR babies under my hen. One was fully hatched and died right away. It looked perfectly healthy.
Three made it so far just fine. Since they are in momny's care, I hope that they are drinking and eating right. I have them in a separate coop with baby food and water for them.
Maybe these chicks got stressed before they came to you and it caused some internal damage.
Was it too cool for them?
I hope the store reimburses you.

So sorry to hear about your chicks. It is so easy to get attached to the fuzzy little buggers. I had seven hatch this week and lost one. He struggled to hatch and was near dead. I peeled of the remaining shell, put him on a heating pad and fed him egg. He was up and running with his sibs but two days later, I found him dead. I cried and cried. I guess chicken lovers are just special people. Hopefully you will find out what happened to your babes. Perhaps they had an illness when you got them. I would clean and disinfect the brooding area and try again. Good luck to you!!

So far the remaining little chick is drinking and eating, temp seems fine, no drafts. I went to another feed store and he seems to think that because they all get from same main hatchery, that possible that their brooder wasn't disenfected. He said that is way too many to be "stress related". I am wathcing the poor liitle dear. Hoping for the best. Meanwhile my Buffs are keeping my spirits up with their little antics over mealworms and blue berries. Working on the run today, hoping this drizzley rain stops soon. Thanks for all the input it really does help

Thanks for the update on you chick. My three are doing fine, got another to replace my poor litte orpington.

You have drizzly rain? I am in Fairfield (green valley) and it's lovely today, perfect spring weather. Although yesterday we had a thunderstorm. Crazy, random weather!

Sorry to hear that.
I had some bad luck myself.
A snake got into the house and into the box I had my first 6 chicks in. It ate two, the other 4 escaped, but one got out through a hole in the floor and to the outside world, so had 3 left.
when i fixed up a pen outside and put them in there, another snake got in and ate one. It could not get back out, and I dispatched it as well. Now I use snake repellent as needed.
I bought 3 more pullets, they are doing very well so far, and then bought a mill run, who turned out to be a barred rock roo.
need to see if he can get along with the two older pullets now.
I have found I should have bought a bigger waterer for the outside pen, as they run through a 1 quart a tad faster tahn i thought, and with the others out there, won't be enough water, unless I can use a dog waterer that I no longer use.
But it is rat5her bulky and they might decide to use it as a swimming hole, LOL...

Anyways it is always a pain to lose any of the flock.

I feel the same way about not being sure that I will be a good chicken owner. When we had to cull my Ruby (RIR) I cried my eyes out. I got 3 new chicks and the one buff orp started acting lethargic and was breathing heavily. DH checked in the morning before I got up and she died during the night. I cried for my little Belle. DH went to Agway and bought another Buff Orp for me. Now they are all acting happy healthy and feathering out beautifully but I am a nervous nellie when it comes to their health!

Back
Top Bottom