All pretty feathers - but light as a feather

Gooter

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
central VA
I have a pair of Welsummer pullets - love them! They are right at about 9 months old and neither has begun to lay; tho both have pretty red combs now. They are really beautiful girls, very gentle, calm and happy birds. I feed layer pellets and also give them kitten food (40% protein) for extra protein since they can't free range and eat bugs, greens and table scraps. (hawks/foxes, etc.) But both these girls are light as a feather! I bet neither weighs 2 lbs! They seem to be eating fine. I'm wondering why they are so light. You look at them and they look perfect, because their feathers are all beautiful and fluffed nicely in the cold weather. But you pick them up and they hardly have any meat on their little frames, and they are just so light.

My 3 silver laced wyandottes are not light like that at all...and they are laying.

If it's fine, is there something else I can give these welsummer girls in order to help them get some weight on before they begin to lay? I really love them and want them to be healthy as they can be. Would appreciate any advise on this.
Thanks!

Thank you, I will worm them. But what should I use? I have seen no signs whatsoever of mites/lice, but I guess it would not hurt to worm them. They do have free choice and can eat as much as they want.

use piperazine to worm them. It is the ingredient in liquid cat wormer you can get it at wal mart. You can give it to them a few ways. add it to water or I put 1/2 tsp each small cube of bread and give one to each chicken.But if you type in worming on the seach you will find great information.

Back
Top Bottom