Almost a year old and still no eggs!

My Wyandotte haven't resumed laying yet, the breed is slower to get going again, most will resume by the end of March.
Thanks, i could handle that! Lol! Afterall,i do have chicks to keep my preoccupied,but i'd like to hatch some eggs of my own...and eat the rest! Lol!

Last edited:
One of my TSC chickens that I got last March has never laid an egg yet. I guess they do things on their own time as far as laying goes. But yours would be going on 2 years if molted, so Id give them a little more time to start back laying. They deserve breaks and some take longer then others.

One of my TSC chickens that I got last March has never laid an egg yet. I guess they do things on their own time as far as laying goes. But yours would be going on 2 years if molted, so Id give them a little more time to start back laying. They deserve breaks and some take longer then others.

Does yours happen to be a wyandotte? I keep reading they're slower to start,like 8-9 months,and they aren't great layers.

Does yours happen to be a wyandotte? I keep reading they're slower to start,like 8-9 months,and they aren't great layers.

No mi is actually a black australorpe, she will be year March 24th. I do have 4 wyandottes tho, 3 of them just turned 5 months so I will see soon how they lay, and when they start. The 4th one is only 2 weeks and 6 days old.

I'm thinking you'll have eggs by Easter. My older hens that took the winter off are gradually starting to resume laying, the last week or so I've had a good increase in egg production. Still waiting for a few, but they're getting redder combs like your ladies.

My experience is hens kept with a rooster don't squat for people near as much as hens kept without a rooster. So, that's not a good indicator of readiness to lay in your case. Is your rooster mating the hens? That would be a good sign of eggs incoming.

I'm thinking you'll have eggs by Easter. My older hens that took the winter off are gradually starting to resume laying, the last week or so I've had a good increase in egg production. Still waiting for a few, but they're getting redder combs like your ladies. 

My experience is hens kept with a rooster don't squat for people near as much as hens kept without a rooster. So, that's not a good indicator of readiness to lay in your case. Is your rooster mating the hens? That would be a good sign of eggs incoming. 
They are in with 2 roos. The older ee will try,but they run away.

Maybe 2 roos are too many, they may also have stress from that.
Oh i dunno about that,they hold their own pretty good from them boys! My ee tries getting them in the morning when let out,but its clear they're not quite ready.

So todays observations left me feeling more positive than normal. I checked their vents,they dont look big,but also not the size of a males. (I vent sexed the 2 boys i rehomed) they don't bow,but when you touch their sides from behind,and go upwards,their tails raise,and the vent gets a bit bigger. It doesn't turn out as it does like a laying hen whos ready to mate,but i'm fairly confident these ladies will be laying in another month or so. I did also read on cayenne pepper and pepper flakes and decided to give that a try as well.

Back
Top Bottom