Aloha from a chicken newbie!

splashofjoy

Hatching
Apr 7, 2015
I live in Hawaii and we have TONS of feral chickens! I've always joked that I don't understand why eggs cost so much here, since there are chickens EVERYWHERE. So we decided to get what we needed and raise some of the chicks this year. Sure enough, one of the hens nested under our banana tree and we now have 7 baby chicks. I only intended to raise 4 but the neighbor caught the rest of them when they visited her yard and brought them over to me! Fortunately, I haven't built my coop yet, so I can make it bigger. I've done a ton of research on caring for the chicks but found this site as I was trying to figure out what breed I have. So now I'm off to explore the forums and see if I can identify my babies!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congrats on your chicks :celebrate I'm sure you will enjoy raising these chicks it's such a fun and rewarding experience. I love your pic they are very cute!! When your chicks are older you could post some pics in the what breed gender section, here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this I'm sure there will be lots of other members that will be able to help you identify them.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your new babies. Be sure to ask any questions you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly. Enjoy BYC :frow

Mahalo, Yorkshire coop! I have a picture of the momma hen and the eggs, so I went ahead and posted in the other forum. Hope someone can identify them!! I'm super excited for this adventure
ya.gif

Hey there! Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you decided to join! Let us know if you have any questions, we will be glad to help you if we can.
big_smile.png
There is a lot of great info on here, and lots of very knowledgeable people, so I'm sure you'll be able to find any info you may be looking for.
smile.png

Aloha, and welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. I live in Hawaii as well. As you said, there are choke feral game chickens here in Hawaii, but unfortunately, while they are extremely hardy and good foragers, as well as good brooders and mothers, they are poor layers and their eggs are smaller than those of the commercial layers. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck wi da chicks.

Mahalo for joining the BYC flock. I don't think the feral chickens would be any breed. Since they breed freely they would be a combination of breeds. That hen was very obliging to provide chicks for you.

Back
Top Bottom