Altering pigeon flight habits?

tacothechicken

Crowing
9 Years
Apr 2, 2015
Katy TX
Hey guys! So as some of you know I recently got into pigeons and currently have five feathered friends on my hands but recently I've been thinking if its possible to change pigeons flight habits post regularity. As in, my birds do a quick 5 min loft flight each morning and then take off go about 1.5 miles towards town then circle back along the coast to the house. They are very long term fliers :/ as in they'll stay out for at least 2 hours if they've got the energy. But I'm working constantly right now and whith our coopers back in the area I don't want them out when I'm not home! Is their a way to train them to do shorter frequent loft flights post getting into this habit or?... Another reason is that I suspect the few times ive been forced to leave them out they've been picking up habits from the feral a few blocks away and scrounging in people's yards >:/ ! I'd like to correct this before it causes any more issues or loses me a bird, thanks again guys! Ps theyve got a 10x10 loft but they definitely prefer to be out and about but they could be locked up long term if need be, idk what you guys think :) .

If they are homers, this is normal behavior. They are 'routing' or learning their home area. Fly them early in the morning when they are hungry and have feed waiting when they get home or call them in with the feed can - this works on Birmingham Rollers, but Homers are programmed to do what these birds are doing. I understand the Cooper's Hawk problem. They put me out of business as I could no longer justify raising birds for them to kill.

@sourland they are indeed homers! And I suppose routing does make sense seeing as how they are all at 6 months in age but seeing as how they go so far out will the feed and call method teach them to hang around the loft area more overall, or just make them quick to trap? And yes luckily our cooper only has experience whith slower morning doves so the pigeons have outflown him quite well so far. hopefully he doesnt up his game! Also would getting some more loft prone birds make them more agreeable to hanging closer to home or would that have no effect?

Drop birds might help if the homers are in the loft area, but will have no impact on the routing. My homers used to sometimes leave for hours. They were also far more hawk savvy than my rollers. Homers would hit the landing boards singly and dive through the bobs. Rollers are programmed to land as a kit/flock which impacts their ability to enter the loft quickly. Is it possible for you to fly your birds at the end of your work day ?

Let me share some of my thoughts and previous experiences.
I would be very content with pigeons that fly like yours' do. They are fast fliers as a result of good exercise they encounter.:thumbsup
Lame birds are not going to be as fast as active birds. Therefore, more likely to become victims of predators.
Personal experience;; My flock of excellent homers would always make it back from tosses, and park themselves in a tree and just chill :gigall together. They would return into loft at their will. I have see a hawk make an attempt at them. The result was ,,,,,,,,, they all scattered, but none got caught, since all always made it back. (red tail hawk)
Lost that flock in my loft to a raccoon. :hit
Next flock I got , now I understand why they were at a DISCOUNT. They were beautiful birds also. Must not have been a good homing bloodline, or a mix of mutts. They were LAZY and did not venture much when loft flying. When they were congregated on the roof and a hawk appeared, they scattered like roaches and usually one or 2 never returned. I never seen a capture BTW. Eventually my number reaches zero (0):(
We don't live in the IDEAL UNIVERSE, and must be prepared to encounter losses. Also consider the hawk as an important part of nature. The hawk will choose the easiest capture for its meal. That may be a mouse, or snake, or other. It will choose a slower/smaller bird than faster pigeons.
A hawk does not think to itself,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Hmmmmmmmm, I like these creatures, but pigeons TASTE SOOOOOO MUCH BETTER. :lau

Your loft most likely has automatic pigeon trap, be it a SPUTNIK, or BOB WIRES. When your pigeons are ready to be inside loft, they will enter at their own will. Keeping pigeons locked up (except during imminent danger) is not my view of pigeon keeping. Keeping them locked up for extended time will only slow them down , rather than alter their desires to where to fly.
Keeping a certain number of pigeons and expecting that number to stay constant is not a reality. That is why everyone lets new pigeons, be born/hatched, and added to total flock. Eventually when you have a certain number, you slow down the propagation. When numbers decline,,,,,,,, you resume.
WISHING YOU BEST.......................... :highfive:

Alright thanks for all the info guys! In that case I suppose I may fly them really early morning then as my work goes till dark and obviously they won't be able to fly then! I do want to expand to more breeds eventually so this was all great info! I suppose I'll just have to start earlier and hope long flight time and idea of food will tucker em out! And hopefully they hawk doesn't catch wind of the schedule -_- I will just have to trust them to stay safe in the air :)

20180812_105035.jpg

They were back at the loft when I got home around 6:30 :)

Back
Top Bottom