Alternatives to cattle panels/hardware cloth.

Lilion

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 28, 2014
Kinda SW MO
I've been looking at cattle panels and hardware cloth. Having trouble finding the hardware cloth and when I do it's super expensive and a store suggested I use 1" square or 2x3" square fence panels instead of cattle panels and hardware cloth.

Has anyone used that? I wouldn't think that anything big enough to do much damage could get through a 2x3 hole. But then again, these are my first chickens.

We'd have the usual predators; hawks, raccoons, possums, foxes, cats, dogs. Possibly coyotes. We have neighbors with dogs so I don't know if that helps keep them at bay. I'm sure snakes and mice could get thru, but are they that big of a worry?

Last edited:
Two questions would help to give you better answers.
-What types of predators/pests are in your area- rats, mice, snakes, raccoons, dogs, large predators, hawks, etc?
-Is this fencing for the run and/or the coop?

Yes, hardware cloth is expensive, but it really is effective. Knowing some details will help you find the best, economical alternatives that might work for you.

Two questions would help to give you better answers.
-What types of predators/pests are in your area- rats, mice, snakes, raccoons, dogs, large predators, hawks, etc?
-Is this fencing for the run and/or the coop?

Yes, hardware cloth is expensive, but it really is effective. Knowing some details will help you find the best, economical alternatives that might work for you.

Thank you. Likely all of the above. We were going to do the open coop/run combo type structure. I expect we have Fox, racoon, mice, snakes, opossum and coyotes maybe, definitely cats and dogs and hawks.

I was hoping to get away with chicken wire but that worries me a bit. I thought maybe the smaller size fence panels would work.

I've been looking at cattle panels and hardware cloth. Having trouble finding the hardware cloth and when I do it's super expensive and a store suggested I use 1" square or 2x3" square fence panels instead of cattle panels and hardware cloth.

Has anyone used that? I wouldn't think that anything big enough to do much damage could get through a 2x3 hole. But then again, these are my first chickens.
The nastiest small predator that could easily fit through a 2x3 hole is a weasel.

Last week we lost a pullet to a rat that came through a less than 1 inch gap between post and boards in a corner 😭

We also find the cost of HW Cloth painful, but it's a necessary investment.
After everything put into the chickens + feed + housing + labor + affection, it sucks to lose them to predators that don't even say thank you for the free meal.

"Everyone loves chicken"
See where I had temporarily shoved HW Cloth afterwards, was the point of entry.

Attachments

• P1000978.JPG
    P1000978.JPG
    666.5 KB · Views: 34
Thank you. Likely all of the above. We were going to do the open coop/run combo type structure. I expect we have Fox, racoon, mice, snakes, opossum and coyotes maybe, definitely cats and dogs and hawks.

I was hoping to get away with chicken wire but that worries me a bit. I thought maybe the smaller size fence panels would work.
First of all, chicken wire fencing will protect against chickens (ex: keep chickens out of your garden), but is far too weak to keep out medium to larger predators.

Hawks are fairly easy to protect against, but are different from all other predators. You don't need the strongest material, but you either need to provide sufficient cover (bushes/etc) or some type of overhead protection- netting/sold roof/etc.

Hardware cloth is valued because it will keep out almost all predators. It is strong enough to keep out most everything short of a bear and small enough to keep out everything except mice. Even 1" fencing will allow raccoons to reach in and grab your chicken and kill them. One compromise is to use less robust fencing around the run and use 3' of hardware cloth at the base to prevent critters from attacking.

Good luck. Fort Knox security is more expensive, but very effective. Lesser security may be effective or may only reduce the chance of losses. You just have to figure out what you can afford and what risks you can accept.

Back
Top Bottom