Alternatives to wood shavings?

I love my chickens, and find them very easy to care for, but there is one thing about them that drives me and my family CRAZY. Wood shavings. They stick to everything and are constantly getting tracked inside the house. A lot of my clothes are covered in them, just from going out to change the water. Is there any other kind of bedding people use and like? We vacuum all the time, but wood shavings are still getting tracked in. Hay is not an option, I'm allergic. Any ideas?
Sand! Used in conjunction with a droppings board and the coop is infinitely cleaner than any other bedding choice. Plus, it keeps the eggs cleaner because the hens' feet are cleaned as they walk through it to get to the nest boxes! There are lots of reasons to use sand, those are just the two biggies (oh ya, and it's cheaper than anything else you can buy!). http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/09/chicken-coop-bedding-sand-litter.html

I use flax bedding and it's great! I also find it doesn't stick to clothing or shoes unless they are wet from the snow or I stepped in poo. I switched from pine shavings and it was the best thing I did! Flax bedding is al-natural, warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer, and has less dust!

I'm considering using sand....but I'm wondering if it would be possible to rake the poop into a pile and remove it? ( instead of scooping the poop out)
My second choice would be the wood pellets but I'm unsure if it would still be safe for composting?

Mostly it's just what I've heard, but I suspect because it is probably coated in a combustible chemical or something that's probably toxic....It could be composed of woods that are not safe for animals either like cedar.

Ah... I hunted around for weeks looking for any reason not use them after the Farm Supply store employee directed me away from the pine pellets and toward oak. I had a real hard time finding any theories or reasons that didn't start of with, "I heard..."

I did come across this list:
http://www.degutopia.co.uk/degutoxic.htm
It suggests that Oak dust is a suspected carcinogen, but lists Pine dust as a definite carcinogen... so... that ultimately played into my decision to go with the Oak Pellets.

The ones I get are from Ozark Hardwood Products. They are 100% Oak and there are no additives. They are probably safer than the treated wood I used to sheet their coop and the pressure treated posts I used on their run...
tongue.png

http://www.ozarkhardwoodproducts.com/fuel_manu.html

Someone suggested that hardwoods can be sources of black mold spores... but when you read about the process about how these pellets are made, I am sure any mold spores present in the sawdust are destroyed during the kiln drying stage when the dust is heated to 500-600 degrees.

I supposed different brands could be different... So yes, definitely do your research... If you are concerned about it, I am sure there is an MSDS you can ask to look at.

smile.png

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

My chicks are only 3 weeks old currently, and I use pine shavings in the brooder box. I have noticed that it does track all over. Right now it's not too much of a pain because I clean the brooder box weekly and use a layer of newspaper underneath it.

I plan on using sand for the coop floor as I have a minivan and a trip to Home Depot/Lowe's is easier and less expensive than making a trip to the local feed store. I will however, probably use a combination of hay or straw with sand in the run. My backyard is one big mud hole when it rains!

Also for the coop, I get enough junk mail and junk newspaper that I can put through my shredder and use it for bedding too, and that's FREE.
thumbsup.gif

I want to try the pellets. It sounds so much better for the hens, and me. I hate all the disgusting poo dust you get from wood shavings that you inhale and get all over you while cleaning the coop. I did put some play sand in their run area and they seemed to hate it. I put it on one side and they just stopped dust bathing on that side all together
hu.gif

I use sand in the run and sugarcane mulch in a deep layer (around 6 inches) for the coop. Has worked great for my 5 girls so far and doesn't smell. I don't even need to remove the droppings just mix it in and add some fresh mulch on top. The bottom layer composts and I replace the whole lot around once every six months.

Back
Top Bottom