Am I A Weirdo?

dangerouschicken

Will Barter For Coffee
12 Years
May 6, 2007
Columbia Gorge, OR
I am thinking about retiring from the internet for awhile. It is like I make lots of friends fast, but at the same time, I lose them fast, as well. I don't know... am I a weirdo? Cuz like you guys know me pretty well, and I think I come across as pretty positive and funny. And I'm not up for writing blog entries, either. Lately I'm questioning how much using the net really means in the overall scheme of life.

Anyone else got the internet blues?

These forums and blogs have redefined "friendship". Everyone here at BYC has been great answering my questions and offering advice and support, but I doubt that I will ever sit down and have coffee with any of them anytime soon. So, you have to balance your "on-line" life with your "real life". Things get weird when people stop recognizing the difference. Hope this helps. Aloha!

Please don't retire!

I always enjoy reading your posts and your blog.
I'd wondered where you've been when I didn't see you posting for a long time but I'm sort of a "lurker" because I'm new in chickens and don't always reply in big threads.

Unfortunately for online friends real life gets in the way lots of time.
Things come up and you can't get online or sometimes things going on in personal life that makes you just not want to socialize as much.
I sure don't think it's a reflection on you at all!

When I first joined BYC your threads on gardening and canning and chicken info helped me personally a LOT! You are very positive and friendly and always offered help to newbies and everyone alike, without treating them like they didn't know anything.
I'd sure hate to see you stop posting. Take a short break if you really feel you just have to and some "me" time, but please don't stay gone for long!

You WILL be missed!

Thank you for replying to this, everyone. I feel a little out of sorts, I suppose. It is hard living in the country and not having many friends around. I'm sure others can relate to that. You get a little too attached to the internet. It makes my head spin sometimes. Blogger, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, BYC... it can be... um... involving. I LOVE this place. I'm not going to "retire." LOL I just am trying to find a better balance.

Support is greatly appreciated tonight. Thanks so much
smile.png

AF, it means a lot what you wrote. A special thanks for that.

Last edited:
Quote:
Good sense here I reckon. Unless you live down the road from a BYC member they are never going to be your friend in the old sense of the word. It is a new kind of acquaintanceship that we all have online and it has a purpose of its own I think.

I guess I'm a little weird on the whole "friendship" thing . I have few friends , I have many people I know and talk with . Friendship is someone you can call , no matter what time.....just to talk . It's sometimes hard to distinguish between the both.....especially when you're online . Best thing to do is to see and feel what you want or what you're lacking . I don't come here to make "friends" , I come here to talk with others , get info , and conversation . It's rare that you would find someone on-line who would drop everything they're doing to help you out . Look inside yourself to find what's missing . I have only 2 friends ,plus my family . Does it bother me ? At times it does....but then I look at who and what I have , and would have it no other way . Do not mistake conversation with a person with friendship...it will let you down in the end . JMHO:idunno

I don't have alot of what I would call "real" friends but I do hav alot of pals whom I talk to through this forum. I actually met my best friend through BYC. Karen has been a real blessing in my life as I too live in the country and just never truly had much of a chance to see other folks because I am so far out in the boonies
hmm.png

I get alot of comfort from my pals here on the forum and have learned so much while at the same time deriving pleasure and purpose in helping others with their new chicken hobbies
smile.png

I think it is important to balance youe home life with your online time so that one does not get in the way of the other one but I will never stop spending time here when I can.
I hope you find balance and peace with whatever you decide and wish you well
smile.png
Hope what I said makes sense.

no. you arent weird. I do the same thing. Usually in spring/summer.

If you need to take a break you need to take a break

Back
Top Bottom