Am I being unethical?

May 26, 2018
Lafayette, La
So as previous posts I have mentioned my neighbor is not to happy I have chickens. Long story short he found out my sexuality and has had been causing me trouble ever since.

My other neighbors love the chickens, bring their kids to pet and love getting fresh eggs.

Anyway, I have two “loud” chickens. One is just naturally loud and another sings the egg song but all day.

I have a farm willing to take them off my hands. Free roam and a nice big flock.

It feels unethical to get rid of my louder chickens just because of one annoying neighbor, simply to replace them with more chickens. In hope they arnt loud.

All my other hens are pretty normal in their attitudes and behaviors. Sometimes make a little noise but nothing compared to these two.

I often over analyze, but figured I would at least ask.

Just trying to make everyone happy.

Kinda sounds like quiet chickens just means they'll find something else to complain about. Are the birds allowed where you live? Does everything follow any guidelines the community has?
Nope, all rules are being followed minus a possible noise ordinance. I measured the dBs and frequency and they were often on the line or above for sound.

But only when the egg song is going on.

If you are within your rights then one option is to simply not get rid of any chickens. If the law allows you to keep chickens then keep chickens. Your neighbor can go pound sand.

On the other hand if you want to be a good neighbor then I think that is a fine compromise to ship off the loud chicken. But you are gambling that the next one won’t be loud as well.

I think I would talk to the neighbor and specifically find out what he/she wants. If it’s no chickens at all then sorry buddy, we simply are not going to agree and they will have to deal with it. If it’s just the loud chickens that are a problem then you are doing the neighbor a favor by trying to be the peace maker and looking for quieter chickens.

One thing I would NOT do is let my neighbor dictate how I live my life. Ever. Especially if I’m entirely allowed by law to keep backyard chickens. Compromise, try to work things out, try to be the voice of reason and a good neighbor. But don’t roll over for them because next they will be saying keep the grass clippings on your side, you’re shutting the doors too hard, turn the music down, slow down when you drive down the road, etc etc.

Honestly, chickens are some of the quieter animals that you can have (assuming no roosters). I've never been woken up in the middle of the night by a chicken, but have been woken plenty of times by dogs.
If these are chickens that you love, then you should keep them. If these particular hens are just liked, then you need to decide if it is worth rehoming them to try to please your neighbor.
But no, if you decide to re-home it is not unethical if they are going to a good home.

So as previous posts I have mentioned my neighbor is not to happy I have chickens. Long story short he found out my sexuality and has had been causing me trouble ever since.

My other neighbors love the chickens, bring their kids to pet and love getting fresh eggs.

Anyway, I have two “loud” chickens. One is just naturally loud and another sings the egg song but all day.

I have a farm willing to take them off my hands. Free roam and a nice big flock.

It feels unethical to get rid of my louder chickens just because of one annoying neighbor, simply to replace them with more chickens. In hope they arnt loud.

All my other hens are pretty normal in their attitudes and behaviors. Sometimes make a little noise but nothing compared to these two.

I often over analyze, but figured I would at least ask.

Just trying to make everyone happy.
It sounds to me being neighborly is as easy as moving two noisy hen to the farm you mentioned and choosing a breed of hen that is naturally quiet.
Happy hens, happy neighborly relationship in long run makes you happy.
Just tell your neighbor that you sent your favorite hens to a farm to make them happy which is true.

First are these neighbors complainers about other things? Like others have said if I honestly did not want to rehome them I wouldn’t. Can you put up a sound barrier like wall between them n the neighbore, maybe plant a vine if plant to grow over it? If this neighbor is a PITA about other things I would not cater to them. But if you don’t think a sound barrier is feasible and you don’tmind rehoming them I would. But you are not doing anything wrong what ever you decide. Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom