Am I Doing Everything I Can?

I agree with the others about antibiotics if she could have vent gleet. Vent Gleet can be a fungal infection in the digestive tract, and antibiotics can cause more fungus overgrowth. With sour crop which also can be fungal or bacterial, vets will sometimes treat with both antibiotics and antifungal medicines at the same time. Sour crop can be related to vent fleet. If you look at some links and videos about bumblefoot, the surgery can be fairly easy to perform. It is a common ailment in chickens from small cuts in the footpad that get infected with staphylococcal bacteria, and each surgery gets a little easier.

Last edited:
Interesting. My vet said that the infection is usually so deep-rooted that topical antibiotics wouldn't be effective. But at beginning stage, it seems to me it might help. I'm also wondering if I could just "pick" out the black kernel at this point. Hmm...

OK, this came out of this hen this evening. I had had one shell-less egg in the coop the day I removed her, and this is the first she's laid since. The two tiny eggs were kind of fitted together, but not attached to each other.

A follow-up on my sick hen. Here is Layla, back with her flock, wearing her hen saddle. I had her away from the flock, in my house, for two weeks. Too long, but because of sub-zero temps and nowhere else to keep her safe, that's what we did. The first day back was a little harrowing for dear Layla, and there were several fights. I stayed there for a couple hours to control the situation. She kept to herself for a couple days, but after one week, is being accepted back into the flock. The vent gleet is cleared up. Her feet are unbandaged, bumblefoot cleared up. I put Blu-Kote on her naked back area and bottom to hopefully prevent further pecking. The saddle will stay on for a little while longer. I think I have successfully nursed my first chicken back to health.

[/IMG]

Last edited:
A follow-up on my sick hen. Here is Layla, back with her flock, wearing her hen saddle. I had her away from the flock, in my house, for two weeks. Too long, but because of sub-zero temps and nowhere else to keep her safe, that's what we did. The first day back was a little harrowing for dear Layla, and there were several fights. I stayed there for a couple hours to control the situation. She kept to herself for a couple days, but after one week, is being accepted back into the flock. The vent gleet is cleared up. Her feet are unbandaged, bumblefoot cleared up. I put Blu-Kote on her naked back area and bottom to hopefully prevent further pecking. The saddle will stay on for a little while longer. I think I have successfully nursed my first chicken back to health.

[/IMG]

Well done cindyklr - it always feels so good when we manage to help our girls. I'm sure that Layla really appreciates all your hard work!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom