Am I doing ok so far?

Calmwaters

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 24, 2012
Weaverville NC
For my coop I have a huge old dog house (think great dane size) that is very, very heavy and sturdy that I put two roosting post and two nesting areas in it ruffly 4ftX3ft, I made the run out of part dog lot and part no climb fenceing that I got at tractor supply and I have chicken wire around the bottom section of the fence it is 5ftX25ft. What I am wondering about is do you guys think it would be ok to cut a good size hole into the top of the roof and for now cover it with a door made of chicken wire to add extra air movemenr and then when it starts to get cold make a door out of an old window or plexiglass so the sun can still shine in? I have 4 hens and one rooster and plan on adding 2 more hens next weekend unless you guys think I would be over crowding. I will be building a new prettier coop later on but for right now I am trying to work with what I got. Also am I good with 2 nesting boxes or should I add more? Thanks for the help and I am looking forward to getting to know all of you guys and your chickens.

The dog house sounds like it makes a great coop.
The idea of the cut-out for ventilation is a good idea.
Make sure they can get some cross ventilation in there.
Two nest boxes are plenty.
For now I would not add any more chickens.
Any pics??
smile.png

Thank you very much. I would love to get some pictures for you guys but my camera is in the shop. I willl get some when I get it out hopefully today but it may be tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom