Am I feeding my birds correctly?

Bug n Flock

Songster
Jun 13, 2015
I have 5 chickens(4 young hens, only 1 of whom just started to lay and a young rooster), 2 adult ducks(1 lives with the chickens and is a barnyard pet, 1 we just were given and may consider a mercy killing.. He aint quite right and he lives in with the turkeys), 2 adult standard bronze turkeys(3 y/o hen and 2 y/o tom) and their 6 3ish month old chicks, and 11 3-4 month old quail.

The chickens and Nibbler are fed as follows:
Whatever they find while free ranging
DuMor 16% layer pellets(they seem to hate these and only eat them if there is *nothing* better and they are hungry)
Nutrena 20% all flock
Scratch grain with added black oil sunflower and whole oats
A 50lb sack of wheat that had weevils that we dumped out on the compost pile, and whatever else they find in the compost to eat
Dried minnows and cracked corn as treats
I coop them at night and free range them on our 60 acres during the day, tho they stay by the house or in the pine trees just over yonder from the house mostly.

The turkeys and Waddles are fed as follows:
Whatever tasty morsels in the goat's deep bedding in the barn(I scatter extra grain in there to encourage them to look thru it and keep the bedding mixed up)
Pasture during the day
During the day free access to the Nutrena 20% all flock mixed with a 28% game bird starter and some of the 16% dumor layer pellets
Scratch grain with whole oats and black oil sunflower mixed in
I confine them to the goat barn at night and they are pastured during the day.

The quail get the nutrena and thats it, and they are currently in a wire pen in my home while we build them an outdoor coop or suspend their cage somewhere in the goat barn. We only just got them(and Waddles) recently.

How does this sound? Any advice or warnings about anything? I don't offer grit often since the birds have access to pasture/free range, but I do have it and offer some occasionally.

We also in June will be getting 40+ hatchery suprise chicks(could be anything anything. Any breed, sex, species, color that Cackle Hatchery has), 6 baby goslings(a trio each of africans and white embdens), 6 hatchery choice guinea keets, 3 EE pullets, a trio of blue swedish ducks. We have never had geese or guineas(hatched some a few months back but they went to freezer camp as keets to be used as feeders for reptiles since we were still living in the city and couldn't have a flock at that time). Tips on feeding them would be lovely. TIA

I have 5 chickens(4 young hens, only 1 of whom just started to lay and a young rooster), 2 adult ducks(1 lives with the chickens and is a barnyard pet, 1 we just were given and may consider a mercy killing.. He aint quite right and he lives in with the turkeys), 2 adult standard bronze turkeys(3 y/o hen and 2 y/o tom) and their 6 3ish month old chicks, and 11 3-4 month old quail.

DuMor 16% layer pellets(they seem to hate these and only eat them if there is *nothing* better and they are hungry)
Nutrena 20% all flock
A 50lb sack of wheat that had weevils that we dumped out on the compost pile, and whatever else they find in the compost to eat
I coop them at night and free range them on our 60 acres during the day, tho they stay by the house or in the pine trees just over yonder from the house mostly.

Whatever tasty morsels in the goat's deep bedding in the barn(I scatter extra grain in there to encourage them to look thru it and keep the bedding mixed up)
Pasture during the day
During the day free access to the Nutrena 20% all flock mixed with a 28% game bird starter and some of the 16% dumor layer pellets

The quail get the nutrena and thats it, and they are currently in a wire pen in my home while we build them an outdoor coop or suspend their cage somewhere in the goat barn. We only just got them(and Waddles) recently.

How does this sound? Any advice or warnings about anything? I don't offer grit often since the birds have access to pasture/free range, but I do have it and offer some occasionally.

We also in June will be getting 40+ hatchery suprise chicks(could be anything anything. Any breed, sex, species, color that Cackle Hatchery has), 6 baby goslings(a trio each of africans and white embdens), 6 hatchery choice guinea keets, 3 EE pullets, a trio of blue swedish ducks. We have never had geese or guineas(hatched some a few months back but they went to freezer camp as keets to be used as feeders for reptiles since we were still living in the city and couldn't have a flock at that time). Tips on feeding them would be lovely. TIA

Nutrena 20% all flock

Pasture during the day

Sounds ok. I can tell you the guineas will eat bugs, they don’t scratch around much. I don’t have them anymore, they can be noisy and break the peace. They are good flyers and kept moving on, until they were at the neighbors, that was ok because they ate his bugs. The end was when another neighbor seeded her field. They like seed. They are ok people food too.

Back
Top Bottom