Am I nuts???

So I'm going to go against all others and say you should wait until spring, there's not enough time for them to grow and feather before winter, and integrating into a flock that's bored and cold and crabby will be harder, besides if I have to wait, everyone should wait.
1f601.png
Thanks for being the voice of reason. I'm still weighing the pros and cons. Don't want a winter nightmare.

Hello, I am really new here, live in Central Fl and bought 6 chicks 2 weeks ago also.I made a ' brooder'out of a large plastic container with the bedding from the store and water and feeder containers in my bathroom. They already have grown a lot,have feathers and try to fly to top of container with lid fully opened. My question is, I already have a hen house/ chicken coop for them and you mentioned you have an outside brooder- so if I put the warming light in outside coop, its OK to put them outside now? I forgot to ask at Rural King how old they were so do you think they were already a few weeks old when I bought them at the store? I appreciate any and all advice, thanks.
They probably were a couple of weeks old when you got them. They should be fine outside at this age. Even without the light.

So I'm going to go against all others and say you should wait until spring, there's not enough time for them to grow and feather before winter, and integrating into a flock that's bored and cold and crabby will be harder, besides if I have to wait, everyone should wait.
1f601.png

X2

2 words... Frozen waterers. :p

Spring,.. warm,... watch them play etc... don't freeze yourself trying to take care of chicks; do it when everyone can enjoy it ;)

Hello, I am really new here, live in Central Fl and bought 6 chicks 2 weeks ago also.I made a ' brooder'out of a large plastic container with the bedding from the store and water and feeder containers in my bathroom. They already have grown a lot,have feathers and try to fly to top of container with lid fully opened. My question is, I already have a hen house/ chicken coop for them and you mentioned you have an outside brooder- so if I put the warming light in outside coop, its OK to put them outside now? I forgot to ask at Rural King how old they were so do you think they were already a few weeks old when I bought them at the store? I appreciate any and all advice, thanks!
Any chance you can post pictures? I won't even try to guess an age without seeing. However, if they already are at least partially feathered and try to fly up to the top of their box I would guess they are several weeks old if not more. What have your outside temps been there especially over night? It could be they can be put outside now without any supplemental heat but again, a closer age estimate would help in making that suggestion.

In my opinion, chicks raised in the late fall and winter miss out on some things that are essential to growing up really healthy and strong . . . lots of sunshine and lots of tender, green vegetation to feed on.

Any chance you can post pictures? I won't even try to guess an age without seeing. However, if they already are at least partially feathered and try to fly up to the top of their box I would guess they are several weeks old if not more. What have your outside temps been there especially over night? It could be they can be put outside now without any supplemental heat but again, a closer age estimate would help in making that suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom