Am I supposed to feed Scratch and Peck AND crumble or pellets? What's the difference?

JenninAk

In the Brooder
May 24, 2023
First year chicken owner here...
I have been giving my 3 Sapphire Gems 18-20% "Scratch and Peck" feed since they were 16 weeks old (they're nearly a year now). I just get confused reading all the different types of food that I grab what I got last time. What is the difference between pellet and crumble? Is it for in different feeders? Is scratch different from those? I know these are basic questions, and my hens seem healthy and are laying lots of strong-shelled big eggs, but if i could save some money, that would be great. The S&P is $57/40#!

Ah, thanks! And whats the difference between oyster shells and grit? Do they need both? I haven't given them grit, because I thought feeding them their crushed eggshells sufficed for that. I am gathering that they need grit as well. They have free-ranged, so maybe they've managed that on their own?

"Scratch and Peck" is simply a brand name for many different kinds of livestock feed, though I see they focus on all organic ingredients. So you're probably paying more for a premium, organic product when an ordinary feed would be more budget friendly.

It's really just personal preference whether you feed pellets or crumbles. Chicks will need crumbles for the smaller particles, but mature birds can eat either. I believe there is less waste with pellets. Either kind of feed can go into most feeders.

I pay $15.16 per 50# bag of chicken feed at my local farmers' cooperative feed store. You do NOT have to shop at retail stores; google your area for livestock feeds, then call the feed store and ask about their ingredients. I get a feed formulated for all ages of chickens (low calcium, but high protein) so my chicks, hens and roosters can all eat the same feed.

Oyster shell or limestone products are needed for the hens to produce strong shells, but if you are feeding a "layer" feed, you won't need it. Check the calcium content on your feed; @4%-ish calcium is for layers, but not safe for chicks or roosters. @1-1.5%-ish calcium is for all ages of chickens, but your hens will need oyster shell on the side. Put it out in a tray or dish, and they'll eat what they need. Chicks and roosters will leave it alone.

Grit is simply small particles of sand or gravel, of all kinds of rocks. Birds which have access to eat anything besides their feed will need grit to digest it - seeds, weeds, bugs and whatnot. They eat grit, it travels to the gizzard and stays there to grind up harder particles of food so they can digest it. If your birds free-range, they likely find all the grit they need from the ground.

Scratch and peck is what one could call a boutique brand of feed.
There are many brands that are equal or better for less money.
I feed (whatever is in stock) Purina Gamebird Layer 18% protein, 40# for $21
Country Companion Hi-Pro Layer 22% protein, 50# for $24
Nutrena Egg producer, 20% protein, 50# for $22

"Scratch and Peck" is simply a brand name for many different kinds of livestock feed, though I see they focus on all organic ingredients. So you're probably paying more for a premium, organic product when an ordinary feed would be more budget friendly.

It's really just personal preference whether you feed pellets or crumbles. Chicks will need crumbles for the smaller particles, but mature birds can eat either. I believe there is less waste with pellets. Either kind of feed can go into most feeders.

I pay $15.16 per 50# bag of chicken feed at my local farmers' cooperative feed store. You do NOT have to shop at retail stores; google your area for livestock feeds, then call the feed store and ask about their ingredients. I get a feed formulated for all ages of chickens (low calcium, but high protein) so my chicks, hens and roosters can all eat the same feed.

Oyster shell or limestone products are needed for the hens to produce strong shells, but if you are feeding a "layer" feed, you won't need it. Check the calcium content on your feed; @4%-ish calcium is for layers, but not safe for chicks or roosters. @1-1.5%-ish calcium is for all ages of chickens, but your hens will need oyster shell on the side. Put it out in a tray or dish, and they'll eat what they need. Chicks and roosters will leave it alone.

Grit is simply small particles of sand or gravel, of all kinds of rocks. Birds which have access to eat anything besides their feed will need grit to digest it - seeds, weeds, bugs and whatnot. They eat grit, it travels to the gizzard and stays there to grind up harder particles of food so they can digest it. If your birds free-range, they likely find all the grit they need from the ground.
Thank you for this detailed explanation! This helps clear things up. I did switch them to an organic layer crumble, which was about $30 less per 40 lb bag than what I was feeding them before. (I live in Alaska, so prices might be higher than other parts of the country.) I don't know if it's related to the change in feed, but they have really reduced their laying (from 3/day to 0-1/day) and it appears one of the girls has lost weight. I don't know if they are perhaps preparing to molt or if they don't like this feed. They are going through it much faster than the old stuff, even with access to the woods all day to free range in.

I didn't realize I should call around and compare prices. There are several places that carry chicken feed, so I appreciate that advice! I hope to save a little money but obviously also want healthy birds. Thanks again!

Scratch and peck is what one could call a boutique brand of feed.
There are many brands that are equal or better for less money.
I feed (whatever is in stock) Purina Gamebird Layer 18% protein, 40# for $21
Country Companion Hi-Pro Layer 22% protein, 50# for $24
Nutrena Egg producer, 20% protein, 50# for $22
Thank you! Our prices in Alaska are quite a bit higher than that, but I'll do some more research and hopefully save some money.

PS I really like your quote of "America the Beautiful" as well as the Scripture. My boy is currently deployed in Jordan, on a mission in the Middle East. He flies the F16. I miss him so much and pray for him daily.

Hi,
Assuming we’re referring to the same Scratch & Peck of Burlington WA, this link below may be helpful to you. That company makes “scratch” feed made of whole/raw ingredients, and they also make pellet and crumble. The pellet and crumble is full of similar ingredients mixed together and made into different units “pelletized”. Benefits of scratch are - a more natural feed and the opportunity to ferment. Lots of info about benefits of fermenting on scratch & peck site. Mostly, it helps make sure less gets wasted.

https://www.scratchandpeck.com/learning-center/guides-infographics/

Chickens do not like change, in my experience. The food switch may just be an adjustment for them. I believe best practice is to introduce a new feed a little at a time.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom