Am I the new "King"

ashyannehand

Songster
11 Years
Jun 25, 2008
Wade, Mississippi
Hi everyone. I have 11 hens of variuos breeds and one big black roo named Walter after my father in law. My four year old son named him. They are all the same age about 6 months old. Walter has been a good roo till about three weeks ago. When he attaked me with his wings the first time, I spent a couple of hours reading this forum and all the threads I could find on bad roo behavior. About a week later he got me again, this time with a little more agression while I was bending over to pick up an egg off the floor. I know my butt is nothing wonderful to look at, but attack it?
lol.png
I tried some of the techniques I read. I was never able to catch him to hold him upside down, but I was able to get him pinned to the floor with my foot. He was a good roo for a few days. Then about 4 days ago, I went to the coop as normal. I gathered the eggs and turned to leave. The next thing I know, Walter got me again. This time, OWWWWWW - it hurt. He attaked my left leg from behind. I have a huge brusie on my leg now.
barnie.gif
I had a 1x2 that my husband had been using. It is about 3 foot long. I decided that I would not be putting up with any more crazy roo. I went back into the coop and he came right at me. I poked him firmly (not to hurt him) in the chest. He continued to come at me. After about five minutes of this he backed down and went into the corner. Now for the last four days I take the stick in with me. When he see me or the stick he backs down and goes to the corner. I have also read on this forum not to allow roos to eat treats first or to "visit the girls" when I am there. I have enforced those rules. I was wondering - is this good behavior going to last or one day when I let my guard down, is he going to pay me back? Anyone with any advice or experience? Am I going to remain the Kind?

Thanks to all!

Back
Top Bottom