Am I the only one whose chicks think I am a terrible monster? :(

FloppyEaredFarm

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 29, 2012
Shingle Springs
I cuddle and love my babies, but they are terrified of me. They are four weeks now, and I've had them since 6 days. They run in terror every time I go to pick them up. Other people talk about their chicks playing with them and loving them. Am I doing something wrong? How did you get your babies to love you?

No don't worry most chickens are afraid of the owners. I personally think chickens just don't like to be picked up. Whenever i walk into the pen, my chickens run away because they know i want to hold them. But whenever they stray to far when ranging, when i walk close to them they run tword me. Maybe try picking them up less, i know it's hard because they are so cute! Or feed them a treat and while they are distracted pick them up from behind.

Although Once i hatched chicks and only one survived. He would run around outside but he would come if you called his name. <3 R.I.P. Larry <3

I hope they come aound as they get older! They won't even eat treats that I know they love out of my hand because aparently my hand is too terrifying. I guess right now the world is a scary place for them!

I had one chick inside from being hurt, it was the sweetest thing. She'd peep for me to take her out of her cage and bring her on a towel to my bed and watch tv with me. By far the friendliest chick! Then when she was feeling better I put her back with the other chicks her age and she runs away with them when I go to catch them :( Its like she reverted to her crazy chicken self as soon as I put her back. My last batch only had 5 in it and they were much more social than the 20+ batch I did next. I think they just need 1 on 1 with people to be friendly, I'm not sure.

FloppyEared, don't worry. Mine acted like I was going to chop their heads off every time I put my hand in their box. They are 9 months now, and they "tolerate" me! LOL especially when I have food. They still don't like to be picked up, even though I handled them a lot when they were growing up. Now they are constantly under my feet inspecting what I'm doing. Don't worry, once they are grown they will be used to you and won't see you as a threat. I used to cry to my husband (jokingly) that they hated me and thought I was a monster too!! And once they know you are a food source, forget it!!!

Mine hate me, lol. I played with them ALOT and then finally gave up bc they hated me!

well once they got to be 2 months old they loved me again, like crazy. But they are almost old enough to lay so i am about to lose that love i think :(

I've had a lot of babies and at first everytime I walked into the building they would run away from me, after about 2 weeks I'd open the door and they would take off, then turn around and see me then I couldn't hardly walk for them being right under my feet. It just takes time to get used to you.

i have chicks of different ages and I can relate to a lot of the posts... they love you for the first week then run away for the next 6 lol. I find that when they get older they tend to be more accepting of me and actually run up to see what I have for them. It really does make you feel bad though when they run any direction but towards you but they will get over it. :)

Back
Top Bottom