Am I too late to change things with her setup

Crazy4mypeeps

Chirping
8 Years
May 17, 2011
Nebraska
I've got a first time broody hen, and I'm a first time hatcher with a broody hen. I feel as if I really messed up somehow.

The chicks are due to hatch Friday, and here it is Wed.

Well, She's pretty much soiled the whole corner of the box that I put in there for her to sit on the eggs, and its really a mess. Now she is keeping the eggs away from the mess, but its still a huge pile of stuff back there.

She's torn out a lot of feathers and they are everywhere. LOL My question is, should I attempt to clean that at this late stage of the game?

The setup I have right now is just a large dog kennel with the box at the back end, shavings on the bottom and then her food and water. The door is open and I have another wire dog kennel up against that open so that she can walk out and stretch her legs and "do her business" when she needs to. (even though she isn't doing the latter in that area)

Last edited:
YUCK! What I would do is when she get's out to stretch just remove the soiled materials and try not to mess with the nest part. It should be fine though I don't think you will mess anything up.

Thanks! I was thinking that I just didn't giver her enough room to move around. Since it's my first time, I'm clueless.
wink.png

Well, she went out for a stroll, so I cleaned it up, and made her a brand new nest, and moved all of the feathers over to it and then set the eggs back in. Managed to get the crate cleaned too. Only took about 10 minutes tops. She's back on the eggs and happy as a bug.

Back
Top Bottom