AngieChick

Poultry Elitist
11 Years
Jun 18, 2008
Willamette Valley, OR
We had a visitor last week:

12104_mothy1.jpg

12104_mothy2.jpg

A Polyphemus Moth. I had no idea that we have them around here. Her wingspan was over 6".

She left my husband a parting gift as he relocated her:

12104_mothy3.jpg

She obviously thought he makes a great stick.

I would LOVE to see what others have around their areas - got any photos to share? Insects, arachnids, and invertebrates are all welcome. It's fine if a critter has an exoskeleton instead of an endoskeleton, we won't judge
lol.png

Last edited:
You might enjoy the yahoo group BiologicalCuriosities. It's not very active, but once every 8 to 10 months or so there is a flurry of activity, and some really cool critters are discussed.

Do Crayfish count? We have a creek In our backyard and It's filled with fish, crayfish, frogs, salamanders, snakes and a few turtles.

61450_img_7508.jpg

And this Is a dragon fly.
61450_img_9504.jpg

The moth pics were great!

Beautiful moth!

This is a walking stick bug I found on my deck chair.

10-3-06034-Copy.jpg

A spider that caught a 17 year (periodical) cicada in 2008. We had thousands of cicadas everywhere. They did do some tree damage, but the chickens loved eating them! The 17 year (periodical) cicadas usually have red eyes like little aliens ~ while the annual ones usually have green or dark eyes.

June2008019.jpg

Last edited:
Here is one from a Missouri line for comparison.
ReadytorockLarge.jpg

A freshly `pumped-up' Luna (when they start appearing it is time to start hunting Morel mushrooms).
LM42409.jpg

A Cecropia (went out later for another pic and it had been eaten by a Grey Tree Frog - at least the frog looked bloated).
Cecropia0796.jpg

And, one of the `pond squadron' chowing down:
DragonB0809.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom