Amber White - breed?

LIZZYGIRLS

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 18, 2012
does anyone know anything about the breed - Amber White? Such as size of eggs, color, are they good layers? Are they cold hardy? My feed store is going to be carrying babies but I can't find anything about this breed....

Also there are a couple of breeds we would like to get but if I get them from the store the breeds I want don't all come the same week. So we would be getting 1 baby and then a couple more a few weeks later. Is this doable or do you think we would have issues? Would I have to do 2 seperate pens until they are older? We are new to this so any advice would be greatly apprciated.
thanks

welcome-byc.gif
Amber whites are a hybrid created for high level production of eggs. I have no experience with them - some have posted that theirs were flighty. They are supposedly frequent layers of cream to light brown eggs. I would not recommend getting a single chick (most places will not sell less than 6 at a time) as chickens are social birds. It is easier to integrate very young birds than to integrate adults or to integrate juveniles into an adult established flock. Good luck with your chicken adventure and enjoy your birds.

Since they are a hyrbid high-production breed, they will not breed true, so if you only want them for eggs, its one thing, i wouldn't suggest any of those special commerical hybrids if you plan to raise chicks from her. Also, if you are a backyard keeper that likes to keep your hens for years, the high-production layers often burn themselves out with high production fairly early, become non-productive, and often even have a shorter life span. Thet are specalized for the use they are intended for.

I dunno if this is still relevant, but i have many breeds of birds and the amber white is by far my favorite and in interestingly enough the least flighty. Great layers!

MINE LAYS LARGE BROWN EGGS ALMOST AS GOOD AS MY LEGHORNS BUT THE BEST PART IS MY AMBER WHITE BEATS THE HELL OUT OF THE HAWK THAT KEEPS TRYING TO GET MY GIRLS ,SHE WILL HAVE A PERMENT PLACE HERE EVEN WITHOUT LAYING EGGS AND SHE HAS A GREAT PERSONALITY THAT MAKES FOR FUNNY CHICKEN TV AS I HAVE VIDEO CAMERA ON CHICKEN RUN

Back
Top Bottom