Amberlink, Amber Link, Amber Star Longevity? How Old Can They Get?

heatherbeast

Songster
Mar 26, 2021
Atlanta, GA
Who has kept Amber Links? I understand that they have a shorter lifespan because they were bred to be production layers. What's the oldest Amber Link you've owned? Butterscotch is starting to show her age -- she will be 4 years old at the end of April, and her eggshells have started looking a bit like potatoes.. She's still rather athletic, jumping for snacks, and the head rooster totally dotes on her. I've brought her in on the very coldest of weather we've had this winter when she looked like she was dragging a bit, and vitamin water, a round of flock deworming, and higher protein food has perked her up.

I was also wondering what are some additional things I could do to support her in her golden years. I've included a throwback pic with her first dozen eggs for attention.
❤

20201231_190851.jpg

I had a red sexlink of some sort that lived to be 8-9, before the coyotes got her. BUT she never laid a day in her life.

Yes, I've seen that sexlinks tend to be short-lived. That's a pretty awesome lifespan -- I wonder if the lack of laying was a contributing factor. Thank you for sharing!

Yes, I've seen that sexlinks tend to be short-lived. That's a pretty awesome lifespan -- I wonder if the lack of laying was a contributing factor. Thank you for sharing!
Its very possible. I had a barred rock that was of the same batch, I lost her at the same time but she still laid once or twice a week.

I had four of them and the longest living one made it to four years old. The other three died at three years old. I loved their sweet personalities, but was disappointed in their short lifespans.

I currently have a black sexlink that will be thirteen in April, so that don't always have short lifespans.

I had four of them and the longest living one made it to four years old. The other three died at three years old. I loved their sweet personalities, but was disappointed in their short lifespans.

I currently have a black sexlink that will be thirteen in April, so that don't always have short lifespans.
/13/?! Gracious!

Back
Top Bottom