Pullet with neuorological issues, is she too cold? Odd neck movement & laying down

Fluster Cluck Acres

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 26, 2020
Frederick, MD
The abridged version:

I have an 8 month old Barnevelder pullet (named Peanut Butter aka PB), who I believe was born with some sort of neurological disorder. She weighs almost 3 lbs and is not a great eater. I'm in Maryland, and today we had our frist snow of the season. This morning/afternoon, she (her name is Peanut Butter) was hanging with the flock and being her normal self. Later today, she stopped hanging out with the flock and instead was with my "exiled" young cockerel. She was laying in the snow, and kept staring upwards towards the sky, angling her head so far back it appeared her neck had disapeared into her body.. When I picked her up, she laid back down. This laying around lasted a couple hours. Then I brought her indoors to warm up and within a few minutes, she was (mostly) back to her normal self. Had she gotten too cold? What would cause this bizarre behavior?

Video of PB when I first brought her indoors at 5:20 PM.

The long winded-version:

PB is a hatchery chick I got in May of this year along with 3 other Barnevelders. She struggled with a case of poopy-butt for the first several weeks of her life. Then she developed a strong tremor that lasted several months. At times the tremor was so strong she would shake herself right off balance and fall over. But otherwise, she behaved normally. She has grown into a beautiful but tiny hen, and has never laid an egg. She eventually out-grew the tremors, but has always been a little "off-balance." As a chick, I inquired about her trembling in this post. Nowadays, she gets along well in her flock. She is tenacious and loves treats, but only ever eats a small amount at a time. She's low in the pecking order, but is still able to access food and water. However, her crop is rarely full. She loves snacks, but seems to lose interest in eating quickly. I've been worrying about her getting too cold with these low temps, but she seemed to be doing okay until today.

PB has always had some quirky behaviors, and that includes a unique "head tilt" that gives her a cute expression. She also has a strange habit, that when she looks upwards, she tilts her head really far back. Sometimes she loses her balance and teeters over backwards. This happens if she's watching something in the sky, or just looking up at a prospective roosting spot she wants to jump to. Perhaps this is indicitive of a visual impairment, but I don't really know.

This afternoon, PB was hanging out with the flock like normal. This is their first snow, and we shoveled them some paths and I was trying to teach them how to use the paths. This video was taken this afternoon at 11:15 AM. She loses her balance easily- that's her "normal" and you can see it a little in this video.

When it's really cold, PB usually stays in the coop along with some of the older ladies who don't care for the cold. However later today, I noticed PB and my "exiled" cockerel hanging out by the garage door. The rest of the flock was in the coop The wind had picked up and it was really unpleasant. PB appeared to be standing on a tiny strip of the doorsill that was devoid of snow. It was a little odd that she wasn't with the flock, but also we sometimes throw scratch from the garage so chickens will occasionaly hang out here to beg. This was around 2 PM. She was standing up at this time. I offered them some scratch, but she only ate a few pieces. A short while later they were still hanging out. This time she was laying down, and she was under a cart we keep propped up along the house. This is a popular spot for the chickens to hang out because it stays dry, but was also a little odd because there was no protection from the wind. This spot was next door to the shed where chickens often hang out during inclement weather. I didn't pay close attention to her at this time becuase I noticed my cockerel's spurs were coated in ice, and instead of paying attention to her, I focused on breaking the ice off of his spurs. I did come back a bit later to check on them. This time they were out in the open, and PB was laying in the snow and did not want to stand up. I did not immediately realize something was amiss until I picked her up, and she did not want to stand. She was doing the staring up at the sky thing, only she was not looking at anything.
This is Peanut Butter today at 2:45 PM

We were on our way out to run a quick errand, so I decided to put both PB and the cockerel (who gets run off by the big rooster) into a small coop on the patio that was out of the wind. I figured they'd be warmer there since neither of them seemed to be making good choices about staying warm (there are a myriad of dry, snowless, wind-protected places they could have been hanging out in). Anyway, we returned a couple hours later. PB seemed to be in the same condition as when we left., perhaps slightly more alert (Cockerel tried to mount her and she yelled him and said no). I brought her indoors, and took the video at 5:20 PM of her on my kitchen floor (the first video in the post).

Within about 10 minutes of being indoors, she began perking up. She started eating and talking (she is very chatty) and even walking around the kitchen. I decided at this point that she needed to stay warm. She was acting normal (by PB's standards) in less than hour. She was eating and drinking, and then while drinking she began doing this strange thing with her neck. This video was taken at 6:20 PM.

She only did this neck move while drinking. It doesn't seem like wry neck, but I did put Poultry Cell in her water in case it's a vitamin deficincy issue. She's now contentedly sleeping in a dog crate in my living room.

Has anyone ever had a situation like this? Could this be a result of the cold or is the cold coincidental? How do I go about returning her to the flock after she's become acclimatized to indoor temps?

And somewhat unrelated, but is it normal for a cockerel's spurs (they're not much more than spur buds at the moment, he's 7 months) to ice over? My older roosters did not have this happen, but they both also spent more time in their coops/out of the wind.

Thanks for any insights and/or sharing your experiences.

Here are some pics of PB when she is healthy.

Attachments

• IMG_3823.JPG
    IMG_3823.JPG
    294.3 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_3825.JPG
    IMG_3825.JPG
    230.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5073.jpg
    IMG_5073.jpg
    488.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4143.jpg
    IMG_4143.jpg
    599.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I don't know if she is doing what is known as star gazing, which is a pre-cursor/symptom of wry neck. That is treated with vitamin therapy - vit E (400 mg) and I think vit B (1/3 of a B complex pill). I hope you get the needed help.

I will tag a couple of more knowledgeable people who will be of better help.

@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive can either of you offer help?

Thanks.

I don't know if she is doing what is known as star gazing, which is a pre-cursor/symptom of wry neck. That is treated with vitamin therapy - vit E (400 mg) and I think vit B (1/3 of a B complex pill). I hope you get the needed help.
Thank you for this. When I looked up stargazing it sure looks like what she is doing!

I'd treat as Wry Neck giving Vitamin E and B-Complex, see if that helps.
Thank you. I gave a vitamin E and 1/4 of B complex. She was worse this morning but seems to have loosened up as she’s been awake longer. Certain things seem to snap her out of it (treats, a chance to peck my phone, my cat whom she hates). Would you recommend a daily administration of these vitamins?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    498.8 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Good Morning.

Your girl is very pretty.

I cannot see the "complex" vitamins you got, but it seems like it is more than Vit B complex. The zinc and the c is probably okay, but I simply do not know. @Wyorp Rock would know.

I would give her the vit e and vit b complex daily for as long as it takes to get her normal. I have seen post that say it can take as little as a week and as long as a couple of months for the balance to return in the chicken.

Also, I forgot to mention to give her a little bit of egg (how ever she likes it cooked) with the vit e b/c the selenium in the egg helps with the uptake of the vit e.

This is the vit b complex you need to give. it is a tablet, so you can break it into thirds. Doesn't have to be exactly 1/3. B is water soluble, so no worries.

If you have never given pills, just pull down easily on her wattles to open her mouth and pop the pill in and allow her to close her mouth and swallow.

1705501531571.png

Last edited:
Any b complex is fine, regular, b 100, or super b complex. It might take some time, days or weeks for symptoms to improve. Yes, give her the b complex and E daily for a few weeks to see if they help. Helping them get enough to eat and drink is very important, and might need to be done 2-3 times a day. Wry neck, star gazing, crook neck, and torticolis are a neurological symptom that may be seen in head or neck injury, vitamin E deficiency, and in some diseases that affect the brain. Mareks, some respiratory viruses, such as Newcastles or avian influenza are some. But since she had some sort of tremors early on , it might be related. How old was she when she first had tremors? Oh, I found the answer in your other thread, and it was around 2 weeks. Do her eye look normal to you, or have you noticed any cloudiness in her pupils or other abnormality? I would bring her out daily for supervised visits with her flock to keep all familiar with her.

Good Morning.

Your girl is very pretty.
Thank you! I love this little girl!
I cannot see the "complex" vitamins you got, but it seems like it is more than Vit B complex. The zinc and the c is probably okay, but I simply do not know. @Wyorp Rock would know.
Sorry, I realize it was an unclear picture of the bottle. Here's another pic. It just says B-Complex. On the nutrition label is shows 5 mg of B6 and 12 mcg of B12. I think it's the correct stuff.
IMG_5259.jpg

Also, I forgot to mention to give her a little bit of egg (how ever she likes it cooked) with the vit e b/c the selenium in the egg helps with the uptake of the vit e.
I did give her a little egg this morning. She ate a bit, but then lost interest (typical for her). I read another thread where someone was feeding sardines for selenium. I might try that a little later. PB thinks variety is the spice of life when it comes to food, so I think she'll eat more if I offer different types of food.
If you have never given pills, just pull down easily on her wattles to open her mouth and pop the pill in and allow her to close her mouth and swallow.
I was able to get the vitamin E in her. PB's wattles never really developed, so I can't use the wattle trick on her, but I was able to just pop the pill in her beak. The vitamin B she ate on her own.

She is doing much better this afternoon! I only notice the neck issue when she moves her head into a weird position to look at something, and then it looks like she gets stuck like that for a second, but then she's fine. I will continue the vitamins daily.

Back
Top Bottom