Fuzzychicken98

Chirping
Apr 21, 2022
Florida
I got home the other day and she had serious wry neck. She is an indoor only chicken. I immediately gave her an oral dose of poultry cell. I have polish and silkies, vitamin deficiencies are always a worry. But 2 days later. Now she barely walks. Her wattles are on and off pale. I finally got her to eat some. I gave her more poultry cell. But after she eats she closes her eyes and looks even more pale. Ruffled up. It's breaking my heart she's my favorite hen. Her poop looks mostly normal. Is it possible for coccidiosis to cause wry neck? In an indoor only bird? She doesn't come in contact with any other birds fecal matter. And her poop has no blood.
I just want my girl to make it. I kept her indoors so she'd be safe from every big bad. And here we are. About to lose her. Please anybody help. If you think it's coccidiosis I'll treat with corrid right now. I just didn't want to do it if she's vitamin deficient.

Attachments

• 20240320_213200.jpg
    20240320_213200.jpg
    742.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 17109868002171253556511120096249.jpg
    17109868002171253556511120096249.jpg
    507.9 KB · Views: 4
What's her diet? Does she lay and has she laid recently? Crop feel?
She needs direct high doses of vitamins. 400 i.u vitamin E capsuleand a sliver of a B complex tablet every day for a few weeks. Any brand from the grocery store, just open her beak, pop it in and she'll swallow it.

She needs direct high doses of vitamins. 400 i.u vitamin E capsuleand a sliver of a B complex tablet every day for a few weeks. Any brand from the grocery store, just open her beak, pop it in and she'll swallow it.
I feed her a fermented mixture of nutrena 20% all flock and 16% layer crumbles. She gets oyster shell as well. She used to lay about every other day. She hasn't laid in about 2 weeks. She had started eating her eggs. I witnessed her rooster(she was part of a pair) keeping her from the food. And I figured that's why she has wry neck. Was because he was depriving her. But I separated them and she started gobbling up food. And then 2 days later she's like this. Would a capsule be safe with her being a small serama and having wry neck???

Her crop feels fine. No eggs or egg residue in her vent. She feels pretty underweight.

I feed her a fermented mixture of nutrena 20% all flock and 16% layer crumbles. She gets oyster shell as well. She used to lay about every other day. She hasn't laid in about 2 weeks. She had started eating her eggs. I witnessed her rooster(she was part of a pair) keeping her from the food. And I figured that's why she has wry neck. Was because he was depriving her. But I separated them and she started gobbling up food. And then 2 days later she's like this. Would a capsule be safe with her being a small serama and having wry neck???
It will be fine, they're small.
Have you ever wormed them?

I got home the other day and she had serious wry neck. She is an indoor only chicken. I immediately gave her an oral dose of poultry cell. I have polish and silkies, vitamin deficiencies are always a worry. But 2 days later. Now she barely walks. Her wattles are on and off pale. I finally got her to eat some. I gave her more poultry cell. But after she eats she closes her eyes and looks even more pale. Ruffled up. It's breaking my heart she's my favorite hen. Her poop looks mostly normal. Is it possible for coccidiosis to cause wry neck? In an indoor only bird? She doesn't come in contact with any other birds fecal matter. And her poop has no blood.
I just want my girl to make it. I kept her indoors so she'd be safe from every big bad. And here we are. About to lose her. Please anybody help. If you think it's coccidiosis I'll treat with corrid right now. I just didn't want to do it if she's vitamin deficient.
If she has wry neck, then she needs selenium. This is what I learned reading other posts on other sites. I have no personal experience with it.

Back
Top Bottom