Normal Wry Neck or something else?

justmebee86

Hatching
Feb 3, 2024
I’ve been treating my 7 week old chick (Unsure of breed-mixed. Hatched from donated eggs) for wry neck for the past 3 weeks with no improvement. I’ve been doing the vitamin E capsule squeezed directly into her beak and b complex method. Started with 1 500IU capsule a day vitamin E for a week and a half along with 1/4 tablet of B complex. No improvement so increased to 2x vitamin E, and 3/4- 1 tablet B complex. I’ve been giving her Tuna and egg daily along with watermelon for hydration and her starter mix which has now moved to grower mix.

She cannot eat and drink on her own. At the start I was giving her water via syringe into her beak. Now she can drink somewhat from a cup if I hold it in front of her whilst she is in my lap whilst one hand holds her in the squatting position with her head on the right angle.

She will eat this way also. When she stands she will tuck her head between her legs.

She can walk small distances but then her head/body starts to shake and she backs up into a corner and is quite distressed. If she does manage to lift her head and stand somewhat straight it’s only for a few moments with her head tilted before she has another “spasm” head goes between the legs and backing into a corner.

I’m starting to wonder if it’s a deeper nurological issue rather than or along side vitamin deficiency. The wry neck came on suddenly. I didn’t observe any obvious head/neck injuries when all this began. She was born fine with no neck/head issues - they developed at 4 weeks. All of the other chicks she hatched with are in perfect health. In saying that none of them really look like her. All the eggs we got from our friend were mixed as they have many different breeds in their flock.

I’m wondering if the roo/hen she came from had something genetically wrong or bad diet/vitamin deficiency. All were fed good quality starter mix with fresh water and a clean and sufficiently heated environment. They had no access to wild birds or other chickens. No mould or known toxins. They were kept in a 2x2 brooder with lots of ventilation on screened and dust extracted breeders choice wood shavings. Healthy chicks were then moved outside at 6 weeks and are growing and doing very well.

What do we think it could be? I’ve never had a chicken with wry neck in the 10 years I’ve been raising them. I will make a vet appointment on Monday Is there anything specific I should get them to test? Should I push for antibiotics incase it’s something bacterial?

I did think possible Marek’s disease but she has no paralysis/weakness in her legs or wings and no obvious lesions near eyes or on the body.

Video 1 is of her spasm. I was cleaning out her cage when she backed on to the brick that usually has her elevated dish of food and water. Pink stains on brick are from a strawberry. NOT blood. Video 2 is of me holding her so she can eat. Photos are of the vitamins I’ve been using.

Video 1 -

Video 2 -

Thank you from Australia 🙏🏻

Attachments

• IMG_7461.jpeg
    IMG_7461.jpeg
    589.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7462.jpeg
    IMG_7462.jpeg
    490.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7463.jpeg
    IMG_7463.jpeg
    527.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7464.jpeg
    IMG_7464.jpeg
    570.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7473.jpeg
    IMG_7473.jpeg
    467.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Sorry about your little chick with wry neck. Did she ever have tremors when she was a week or two old? Can she stand up and walk? Some chickens never get over wry neck which is a neurological symptom. I would decrease the B complex and give a little less of the vitamin E. Usually 400 IU of E is given to adult chickens for a couple of weeks. It is a fat soluble vitamin and can build up in the body. I would decrease the B complex to 1/4 tablet daily and give a little less of the E. Is she getting a balanced chick starter grower feed? Mareks usually shows up at a later age, and hardly ever before 5-6 weeks old. I don’t have any other advice, other than to say that you seem very dedicated to this chick. I do hope that you see some improvement, but she may not be able to survive unless she learns to eat on her own. Let us know what happens with her and good luck.

It appears she has a vaulted skull as she's crested, that can lead to head injury that can cause these symptoms. Crested birds can also get something called water on the brain. The vet may be able to prescribe an anti inflammatory and antibiotics that may help with that. Best of luck with her.

Back
Top Bottom