Ameracauna???

A pea comb looks like a row of peas, while a single comb is like teeth on a comb.

As chicks, it can be very hard to tell between the two until they develop. Usually the single comb will look like a mountain ridge, while the pea comb will look like the hills.

As chicks, the pea comb base is wider than the single comb base, which can help when choosing EE's....look for comb bases that are wider.

Here are the comb types on adult birds.
Lof Mc

Comb_types_1.png

Source: http://www.extension.org/pages/6536...backyard-flocks:-an-introduction#.VRzEffnF-CQ

I would say my 11 month old Easter egger definitely has a single comb, it's wavy. My EE and sizzle have the same comb, oddly enough. My roo had a definite pea comb. He was beautiful!

We got 7 week old chicks 2 weeks ago after we lost half our hens to a predator. I'm certain they're not pure Ameracaunas and that's fine (I was guessing Easter Eggers). The gold and black ones seemed pretty straightforward- they have little muffs coming in and have beautiful coloring. The ones I had questions about are the grey/silver ones. They're beautiful too (and much more timid) and I'm not sure what they are. Different color Easter Egger? Something else? The farm where we got that said Blue Wyandotte, but I doubt it because they have grey legs, not yellow. Any ideas would be welcome. They're not the greatest pics, but hopefully they can be seen well enough. I have my fingers crossed they're all ladies (I don't see any hint of a comb at all and I would think I would by 9 weeks old). Thanks in advance for the input!

I have a hen that looks just like that. We'll wait until we see the eggs, but I believe that they are Ameracauna's. The thing is the tuft around the ears. It's very distinctive. We have 1/2 dozen Ameracaunas now, and they are all different colors but they all have the same head shape.

Back
Top Bottom