Ameraucana‘s or Not?!

B_Chickle01

Songster
Nov 11, 2020
Stephentown,Ny
Question… I’m new to this breed. My fiancé surprised me with chickens for Mother’s Day and was told they were Ameraucana‘s. Are the two in this photo really Ameraucana’s or no? TIA for taking the time to respond!

Attachments

• IMG_8477.jpeg
    IMG_8477.jpeg
    640.6 KB · Views: 32
was told they were Ameraucana‘s. Are the two in this photo really Ameraucana’s or no?
I agree with the first poster Lovely bearded EE ladies! A variety of fun plumage colors, making them easy to tell from one another. :love

Many hatcheries sell them (EE) with mis-spelling the Ameraucana name.. meant to "represent the breed" but not for show.. meaning not conforming to the standard of perfection.. usually middle sellers like feed stores and such don't know the difference and label them as they are sold from the hatchery. Many beginners will also not know the difference.

This link has pics of how the accepted colors are supposed to look..

http://www.ameraucana.org/Ameraucana Photos

Some enthusiast are working on other colors like cuckoo, Isabella, etc.. and may work towards getting them accepted into the SOP. Still these in your pics are very typical of the EE look.

Now don't quote me on this cuz it's just for fun and may not be accurate.. but those are *close* to or ALMOST blue partridge.. indeed the grey feathers are blue. Closest Ameraucana color is "called" Silver (I think).

They're beautiful Easter eggers. Ameraucanas are similar but they're purebred, and only come in a few standard colors, none of which matches your girls. Easter eggers are often called Ameraucanas or Americanas, but they're different. Easter eggers often lay blue or green eggs but there is not guarantee of that.
I’ve seen like a blush pink eggs they’ve laid as well. Not mine but others. Thank you so much! I didn’t believe them to be Ameraucana’s thats why I wanted someone else to confirm! What would you say these EEs are bred with? I have other EEs as well he bought the same time as these ones and I believe they’re bred with cream legbar. Attached a photo of said birds to see what you think!

Attachments

• IMG_8475.jpeg
    IMG_8475.jpeg
    809.8 KB · Views: 18
I’ve seen like a blush pink eggs they’ve laid as well. Not mine but others. Thank you so much! I didn’t believe them to be Ameraucana’s thats why I wanted someone else to confirm! What would you say these EEs are bred with? I have other EEs as well he bought the same time as these ones and I believe they’re bred with cream legbar. Attached a photo of said birds to see what you think!
Back in the day there was one basic type of Easter egger, which looked like the birds in the photos at the beginning of your post. Usually pea combs, beards, and often of similar coloring to those two.

But now different blue laying breeds are common, mainly Legbars, and they also are used to make Easter eggers these days. Usually these will have the tiny crests like yours in the latest picture. Sometimes they have barring, sometimes not.

I agree with the first poster Lovely bearded EE ladies! A variety of fun plumage colors, making them easy to tell from one another. :love

Many hatcheries sell them (EE) with mis-spelling the Ameraucana name.. meant to "represent the breed" but not for show.. meaning not conforming to the standard of perfection.. usually middle sellers like feed stores and such don't know the difference and label them as they are sold from the hatchery. Many beginners will also not know the difference.

This link has pics of how the accepted colors are supposed to look..

http://www.ameraucana.org/Ameraucana Photos

Some enthusiast are working on other colors like cuckoo, Isabella, etc.. and may work towards getting them accepted into the SOP. Still these in your pics are very typical of the EE look.

Now don't quote me on this cuz it's just for fun and may not be accurate.. but those are *close* to or ALMOST blue partridge.. indeed the grey feathers are blue. Closest Ameraucana color is "called" Silver (I think).
Thank u so much for ur response and the link in telling the difference. This breed is new to me so it’s much appreciated! I read that hatchery sold “Americanas” as they spell it are not true Ameraucanas and are in fact EE. But, again, this breed is foreign to me so wanted some insight and knew you all would be able to tell me!

Back in the day there was one basic type of Easter egger, which looked like the birds in the photos at the beginning of your post. Usually pea combs, beards, and often of similar coloring to those two.

But now different blue laying breeds are common, mainly Legbars, and they also are used to make Easter eggers these days. Usually these will have the tiny crests like yours in the latest picture. Sometimes they have barring, sometimes not.
Do all legbars have the crest? Or the “mohawk” as I like to call it lol

As far as I know, yes. But not all Legbar based Easter eggers do. Usually, but not always. since all Easter eggers are mixed breeds, you can't be certain of much with them.
So is each hatchery different as to which breeds they mix for their EE? What are the typical breeds used when breeding EEs? Legbar and what else? Or is there really not a standard mix they tend to breed together? Idk if that makes sense. Sometimes I have a hard time articulating 😖

Question… I’m new to this breed. My fiancé surprised me with chickens for Mother’s Day and was told they were Ameraucana‘s. Are the two in this photo really Ameraucana’s or no? TIA for taking the time to respond!
They are Easter Eggers. These are an Americauna Hybrid. They are likely half Americauna. They will lay blue and green eggs.

Back
Top Bottom