Ameraucana and Mille Fleur d'Uccle, or?

MilkFarmChickens

Chirping
Apr 5, 2023
Wondering what these two roosters really are. The white one was said to be Ameraucana and the brown a Mille Fleur d'Uccle.

I’ve read that Ameraucanas only come in select colors and some variations of those colors. I’ve read the standard and looked at all the photos but I can’t figure out if mixed coloring means it’s not an Ameraucana or if that’s just a variation.

The white rooster has gray legs but they are dusty and he’s old so they’re also a little beat up (so they look a little lighter). He’s a great rooster so I am just curious what breed he really is.

I’m excited to hear your thoughts!!

Attachments

• IMG_0843.jpeg
    IMG_0843.jpeg
    510.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0832.jpeg
    IMG_0832.jpeg
    591.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1858.jpeg
    IMG_1858.jpeg
    164.5 KB · Views: 33
The brown one is a little Millie Fleur D’Uccle. He just has very poor patterning. The big boy is some sort of Easter Egger, he possibly carries blue egg genes.
EE and pet quality D'Uccle
Do you all know if d’Uccles are good flock protectors? I don’t need a breeder, but do want someone to warn the girls about hawks in our area. This guy is up for rehoming and I’m tempted to get him because he looks cool.

The white one is our old boy, but he’s a pet and stays around the houses with the house chickens now.

Do you all know if d’Uccles are good flock protectors? I don’t need a breeder, but do want someone to warn the girls about hawks in our area. This guy is up for rehoming and I’m tempted to get him because he looks cool.
If you just want him to watch for halks then that depends on the rooster. If you want a rooster to fight them off I would look for a standard. D'uccles are small and their feathered feet trip them up.

The white one is our old boy, but he’s a pet and stays around the houses with the house chickens now.

How good of an alert system a male is is something you won't know until you get him. As for fighting a predator off, that usually resorts in one less male on your property, no matter the size

How good of an alert system a male is is something you won't know until you get him. As for fighting a predator off, that usually resorts in one less male on your property, no matter the size
Ugh. I hate chickens dying. Male or female. I get attached even tho I’ve had farm animals my whole life. I guess I *hope* that one sounding an alarm will be enough. The hens don’t alert eachother one bit.

Is there any other kind of animal (short of a dog) that will effectively fight off hawks? Like a peacock or goose?

@Bertram that is adorable that they trip on their feathered feet… I definitely hadn’t thought of that.

Thanks everyone for your advice!!

Back
Top Bottom