Ameraucana big crop

Chey1214

Songster
May 4, 2023
A few of my ameraucanas have big balloon crops. No liquid comes out so I don’t think sour crop. Is this just a breed specific issue possibly?

I'm sorry, I can relate. Did you read the article I posted?
yes on the stool softener part now…the one who has impacted crop had a bad crop at birth so I’m not surprised. The one who has the massive crop…she might die…I’ll treat for yeast for seven days starting tomorrow I won’t give up on her!

Thank you soooooo much for your help you made me a little more chicken smarter!

But if you don't feel anything hard in her crop she might not have an impacted crop.
It’s really squishy, but ok I’m going to do a few days with the stool sofner I been massaging it every few hours and if that doesn’t work then I’ll switch to the sour crop treatment. I got this! And if that doesn’t work I’ll get her a bra!

The picture looks a bit more like a pendulous crop, a condition that comes from overeating and the muscle tone in the crop is lost. It requires some days/weeks of treatment plus a crop bra which holds the crop in so that it doesn’t become overfilled. @azygous is very good with advice on that, and she wrote the article about crops. She had a picture of a homemade crop bra, and that has to be in the right place to be effective. Stop the ACV since it may fermentation. Give her clean water, some watery egg, plain yogurt, and just a little watery chicken feed. Keeping her on liquids for a day might help. By the way, what are you feeding them? Stop any whole grains or treats right now.

The picture looks a bit more like a pendulous crop, a condition that comes from overeating and the muscle tone in the crop is lost. It requires some days/weeks of treatment plus a crop bra which holds the crop in so that it doesn’t become overfilled. @azygous is very good with advice on that, and she wrote the article about crops. She had a picture of a homemade crop bra, and that has to be in the right place to be effective. Stop the ACV since it may fermentation. Give her clean water, some watery egg, plain yogurt, and just a little watery chicken feed. Keeping her on liquids for a day might help. By the way, what are you feeding them? Stop any whole grains or treats right now.
When I move her crop around i here it bubble inside and it seems hard for her to breath. I’ll order her a bra…I’m not crafty like that at all unfortunately… I have been feeding her egg and watering down the chicken feed she gets keeping it simple

Do their crops empty in the morning?
Sometimes I think not they are still squishy and balloon like. I have laid out a ton of grit for them. It’s only the amaraucanas though. They are less than a year old. Hatched in may

Back
Top Bottom