Ameraucana folks--care to check out my new roo?

The problem is the same I had with my black Ameraucana cockerel. His gold base color is coming through due to not enough melanisers. He's not going to be the best to breed because of that, but it depends on your objective. Here is Scout, who came from great lines on one side of the family. I no longer own him:

DCP_8799.jpg

What would I get if I cross the black rooster with the brown hen?

Much of this is academic because I basically want the three of them to make EEs with the rest of the flock. The breeder that I bought them from knew that I was more interested in birds that were homozygous for the blue egg gene than in show birds, and they were inexpensive.

However, a friend has asked for chicks from them for her daughter's 4-H project. Not knowing a thing about how to judge chickens, I thought I'd ask. I don't want to give her chickens that would be horrible examples of the breed, although they might be fine for my laying flock where I care far more about egg size, color and frequency. So far so good on that score from the hens.

All three birds have the same color legs.

Erika

Last edited:
It all depends on what your "brown" is carrying. Where did you get her?
Based on the pics, my guess would be that the females would be similar to the hen, and the males would also be similar but with more gold bleeding through in the hackles and saddles.

Hey, LilPeeps!

I bought them from someone on the breeder's list at the Ameraucana Breeder's Club. Can't for the life of me remember their name (it's written down at work). However, they were in Orient, Ohio, which is very near me.

Interestingly, I don't find their names on the list tonight. Hmmmm. I do know that they have a gorgeous white rooster that they said won at the Ohio National, if that means anything.

I have the name for you. Jennifer and Tom Kelly (father and daughter) of Orient Ohio.

I don't know how long they've been breeding.

I know the brown's not standard, but she is the sweetest hen I've ever met. We don't have pet hens, but this brown hen follows you around like a cat, jumps into your lap for pets... I really liked her. So I bought her.

Well, it sounds like none of these are good breeding stock for Ameraucanas, but since I like them, the roo seems to be very good with the girls, and the hens are laying pretty well, they will be perfect for my plan of closing my flock and breeding my own EEs.

Now I just have to find a broody hen or three. It's been driving me nuts that I have 25 hens, many of notoriously broody breeds, but not one will sit. Maybe I'll have to get some silkies or OEGs for mamas. Now that I have fertile eggs, I want some chickies, darn it!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom