Ameraucana question - boy or girl and color?

RiddleMe

Songster
8 Years
Feb 8, 2011
Central Oregon
When I got this Ameraucana I was told it's a blue cockeral but with the comb development and black spots on the feathers I'm thinking it might actually be a splash pullet? S/he hasn't started to crow or lay yet, and the comb is pretty red, but it just changed in the last month (s/he's ~ 41/2 months in these pics).

79408_blueam02.jpg
79408_blueam03.jpg
79408_blueam05.jpg

79408_blueam04.jpg
79408_blueam06.jpg

Last edited:
I think by 4.5 months, roosterness would be more evident. Even my super late-blooming roo was making himself pretty obvious at that age. Congrats on a beautiful pullet!

Quote:
Thanks! What's funny, kinda, is that I got her thinking/planning that she was a cockeral so I rehomed my two "gonna be gorgeous" EE cockerals to make room. But I did get a couple black ameraucanas at the same time and it looks like one of those might be a cockeral, so it should work out ok. I may still have to find a blue roo though, I just really like the way they look!

But if you breed blue to blue, you will get black, splash and blue. So if you breed your black and blue together, you will still get some blue babies, as well as black.
smile.png
Unless that pullet is actually splash (those black specks are throwing me, but I don't have ameraucanas, don't know much about them!) then if you breed a splash with a black, you will get 100% blue babies.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if she was really a blue or splash, the black specks were throwing me as well, which is why I included coloring in my question title. But everyone seems to be in agreement she's a blue... I've been looking at a lot of pics though and it looks like a splash would be more of a white base? I have noticed a lot of the blues seem to have the same black specks, wonder how much she'll change after a molt...

Don't know if I'll breed, I really just wanted a roo for now for flock protection when they free range, but like to keep my options open for the future.

Back
Top Bottom