Ameraucana Rooster or Hen?!

Red, white, and blue cockerel! He's lovely but that coloring makes it an absolute certainty that he's male.

As much as I hate to hear it, thanks for the responses. We had a bad ratio when our broody hatched her clutch, so I have 20 hens and now five roos! We are looking at adding 12-18 chicks over the next month. Any chance they will grow up quick enough that I won't have to cull so many of my guys?

As much as I hate to hear it, thanks for the responses. We had a bad ratio when our broody hatched her clutch, so I have 20 hens and now five roos! We are looking at adding 12-18 chicks over the next month. Any chance they will grow up quick enough that I won't have to cull so many of my guys?
Im a little confused as to what you mean by this.
What do you mean..can you ask it in a different way?
hide.gif

Last edited:
My accidental roosters are not trying to mate the hens yet (they typically run away if an older hen looks at them very long), but when they do start I am afraid my hens will be over sexed (1:4 rooster to hen ratio). Will the baby chicks I am raising now be old enough, soon enough, to take some of the pressure from the existing flock?

Sorry, I'm having a bit of trouble explaining what I mean with any eloquence!

My accidental roosters are not trying to mate the hens yet (they typically run away if an older hen looks at them very long), but when they do start I am afraid my hens will be over sexed (1:4 rooster to hen ratio). Will the baby chicks I am raising now be old enough, soon enough, to take some of the pressure from the existing flock?

Sorry, I'm having a bit of trouble explaining what I mean with any eloquence!
If you absolutely cannot cull any of the males you could separate them until the younger ones mature.

Back
Top Bottom